• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

A Dog Day

I dropped my dog off at the groomer this morning, she was way overdue. They were about half way done with the trim when they found some sores on her leg, I get a call that they couldn't go any farther and I need to take her to the vet. I got an appointment with my vet and picked Murphy up at the groomers and on to the vet.
    It turned out as nothing serious but they wanted to finish the grooming and clean up the sores so I left her.

Just brought her home and she is a happy dog.

Groomer $30.00 for what they did
    Vet for exam, grooming and meds $264.00

Looks like I need to get a real job.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Can't resist

Love of your dog: Priceless

For everything else, time to do some more turning!

Did you figure out what caused the sores?
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

For the love of your dog. Yep, that's me. I've had German Shepherds all my life and they became part of my life. The most outstanding one I got from rescue and named him Beau. He was 115 lbs and 7' from nose to end of tail. He was my shop security system, to say the least. He got hematoma in both ears and the Vet who was one of my clients fixed them and the splints had to stay until healed. Well they didn't heal right and atrophied. This is a dog I had professionally trained for dual personality $1600. For ears not to stand up is a shame. The Vet agreed to split the cost of implants $800. Well, they stood up after that.

Fast forward to 2004. Another rescue German Shepherd we call Shadow is a voracious hunter in our yard. You might have read about her in my posts. She has nailed two possum, a 30" iguana, squirrel, many snakes, and has picked two birds out of the air. Anyway, she tore a tibia ligament in a rear leg. Took her to a Vet that specializes in orthopedic injuries and found out a TPLO surgery would be $3200. I was also told that one third of the dogs that do this either reinjure the same leg or do the other. Well, we got the surgery and about six months later she was fine. About 4 months ago, she appeared to be limping on the other rear leg, and I'm thinking KACHING, another national debt payment. Took her to the Vet to also look at a lump on her front leg. The vet said it looks like the tibia ligament is torn, and the lump is cancerous. Well, we first had the lump removed (which were told it may grow back) for $580.00. While she was recooping from that her limping was going away. So we waited for a couple of weeks, and she is absolutely fine. No limping at all, chasing anything that lives.

I would spend my last penny on my pets. Sometimes I did. They become part of our lives. Besides Shadow we also have Katie, 98lb German Shepherd, 3 cats, and 3 aquariums. BTW, the cats rule the house.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Since the middle of July I have spent over $1500 on my dog and 1 of our cats. This dog (choc. Lab) developed sizures and is on medication to control them. They think it is cancer of the brain as he had a cancerous tumor removed from his neck last summer. Tuesday night he had a big sizure and cost $300 for the emergency vet. His medication has been adjusted and we will see how it goes. Last week our 9 month old cat got sick and try as we and the vet might we could not find out what was wrong, they think it was something congential, and we ended up putting him down Tuesday evening. The prognosis on Toby is bleak but we will do what ever we can to make his last days comfortable. The medication,Potassium Bromide, really sedates him and makes for some rough times until his body adjusts. All the test shows every thing is normal in his blood and other organs. They want $1500 to do and ultra sound or simaler test but being retired we just can't afford and all it would do is tell us what we alread suspect. So for right now shop time is limited to what I can make with what I have and really with my mental state I don't need any big or complicated projects. Oh! yea and on top of it all I have had Jury duty this week. Got booted off late yesterday so now for a quiet weekend with my dog and family. As much as I love animals I don't know if I am going to get any more, I said that 3 years ago when I lost my best buddy Max to cancer and then after I retired I got Toby as a senior compaion. I was over sixty and Toby was over 5 at least we had 3 good years together.

Tom

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

My last trip with my dog to the vet was $254.00 and I was glad they did not find anything seriously wrong. I complained at first about the cost but my wife in so many words told me to be quite.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

I was laying asleep one night when I woke to my Lakota screaming. Rushed to him and after I got him calmed down, noticed he was favoring one leg. Took him to the vet. x-rayed legs and checked for displacia. Nothing. Next night, same thing. took him back to the vet. x-rayed his back and checked him over from stem to stern. Nothing. Next night, same thing. Back to the vet. Checked him over again. Final diagnosis. Either he was sleeping on his leg wrong and getting "pins and needles" or nightmares.

nights with short sleep: 3
            vet bills: $300+
            knowing your pup is going to be okay: priceless.

And yes, I would do it all over again.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

A friend has 3 step kids (all grown and out now, thank goodness). As kids they were all problem kids, but only one grew out of it. As the kids were getting older, they got their first dog. Since the kids are gone it's turned into 5 dogs, bunch of farm cats and living in the country.

Someone made the comment to him the other day, that they wished he was their dad....
              He responded "no you don't, you wish you were treated like my dogs"...
              They gave a strange look, but those of us who knew, just laughed!
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tequila
                • Aug 2004
                • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

My avatar is a picture of Bender. We spent about $40 to rescue him from the pound when he was 8 weeks old, and then spent about $8000 in medical bills by his first birthday. Unfortunately he didn't make it much past that.

It wasn't easy to find the money, but that's what you do for family.
                -Joe

Comment

• germdoc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Omaha, NE
                  • BT3000--the gray ghost

We have a dog and 3 cats and have put a lot of time and energy and money into each of them.

Not to offend anyone, but when growing up, we had a $25 rule--any cat or dog that needed more than $25 in vet bills would end up in kitty or puppy heaven. I remember my father taking one sick pup out back behind the shed and shooting him. Guess I'm not nostalgic about that part of the "good old days".
                  Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Jeff

That is disturbing. If you were a good boy scout, you should have stuck your finger in the barrel.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

Working...