• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Question on Paint Sprayers

Have to paint the house/shop/storage shed/wood shed and small utility vehicle shed this fall (next month I hope). Am considering buying a Wagner "Paint Crew", which is a piston/airless sprayer. Has anyone any experience using one of these? Plan on using waterbase latex, which is what the property was orginally painted with. My figures tell me that I need about 13 or 14 gallons of paint, not counting the trim. That seemed like just too much to roll or brush, plus I can get a 10% discount on the $199 original price at Lowes. Any help out there in BT land?
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

Amazon has two promotions going on. The first promotion is $25 off any purchase over $199. The other promotion is 20% any paint sprayer. Promotions can not be combined. The Wagner Paint Crew is priced at $209 with free shipping (and no tax in most states).
    ________
    WEB SHOWS
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

I have not used the Wagner unit. That said, I have used the Wagner pro models and have found them to be quite acceptable. Theone thing that caught my attention when I looked at the Wagner unit is that it does not draw paint directly from the container. It has a hopper on top into which paint must be poured (two gallons at a time I think).

This, to me, would be a big pain. WIth the pro units, I can drop the stinger into a 5 gallon bucket and spray. TO clean up, I drop the stinger in a bucket of clean water, tie the trigger back and drop the gun in the bucket to let the water recirculate. Replacing the water a couple of times is usually sufficient to give me a good clean unit. A little wiping on the exterior and I'm good to go.

For just a few dollars more, I think one of the pro units is a much better choice
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I used the Wagner Paint Crew to paint my house this past June/July. Worked great the only complaint I have was no swivel on the gun or hose and the plastice hose was a pain to deal with. It sprayed latex with no problem and it took about 45min. to an hour to clean thourghly. I would recomend it just try to find a swivel to put on the end of the gun/hoseand then the plastic hose will not be such a pain. Took me a week working 2 -3 hours a day, the California Heat Wave was going on so I worked from 7-10am. The tank holds 2gal of paint so you are not always filling the tank. Good luck.

Tom

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

My response isn't related to the
          Wagner Paint Crew, of which I know nothing about. I am only making you aware of another option, which you may already be aware. Most Sherwin-Williams stores rent pro-grade airless-sprayer units for around $40/day, I put 2 coats on my mid-sized home last fall in 1 day (and I had never used an airless sprayer before, so some time was spent learning how to use it).

I'm curious to hear more about the Paint Crew.

Good luck.
          Bill

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Haven't used that unit myself, but have seen a couple of them being returned as I was walking into the store over the past year. Talking to the guy in the paint dept. about them, he said they were only so-so and that there seemed to be a lot of them being returned. I was thinking about buying one, but have held off because of the above.

On the other hand, Wagner customer service is top notch. Had a part break (tightening nut) on one of their other sprayers I own and stopped at the company HQ a short distance from me to get a new one (shipping was 2 x the cost of the part), and the guy in customer service gave it to me for free. Always love a bargain.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks everyone for all the input. Probably will go with the Paint Crew since I can get a good price and can see it being pretty useful down the road. Speaking of "good price"; my local Lowes gives a 10% discount if you are military or retired military, plus any other going discounts. Pretty good deal!
              RuffSawn

Comment

• Denco
                • Mar 2003
                • Coming soon: California
                • BT3100

I bought one of these a month ago and painted the entire outside of our house in just a few hours. Cleanup can be lengthy, but this this works great for me! I'll never go back to rollers again.
                *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Part II - Paint

Had so many good replys to my question bout paint sprayer thought I'd find the REAL skinny on paint. From last post you know I have a lot of surface to paint; well all original paint was water base latex. All siding is T-1-11 with verical groves on 6" space. If you are familiar with this product you know it has a very rough surface..ideal for spraying! Asked my local paint/hardware store if you could paint oil base paint over old latex base paint. He said; "No way, won't stick, etc.-etc." I don't think he really knew what he was talking about; I have "heard/read/seen" where you could. So I thought I'd reach out to a bunch of people who probably will have the definative answer. After all "we" all seem to know a little about everything and a "lot" about some things. Thanks in advance for any info.
                  RuffSawn

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

My understanding is you can't paint Oil Base over Latex, but you can paint Latex over Oil Base. I have never tried to find out so you might want to try it first on something. As Idsaid before I use it to paint my house. I would recomend you getting the swivel connector to go between the hose and the gun if possible it will make things a lot easier. I plan on using it to paint a very large wall unit my LOML want along one wall of the living room about 14' of cabinets with shelves and some enclosed storage. She does not want stained wood she want white. So it will be made with MDF similar to he one in the December 2004 issue of Workbench Magazine. So I figure I would prime and paint it with the Paint Crew before I bring in the house to install. Good luck

Tom

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Most manufacturers claim once you go latex you can't go back. Well short of sanding everything really well.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                        Most manufacturers claim once you go latex you can't go back. Well short of sanding everything really well.
                        Oh well!! Thanks to all for advise.
                        RuffSawn

Comment

Working...