• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

I'm bbaaaccckkkkkkk

Well, I'm finally back. This has been the summer from **** and one that I am finally glad see draw to a close. I started this spring with great aspirations. I had plans to re-arrange my shop, get some long awaited projects started and spend some time at the lake.

On June 17 I was in my shop, doing the last of the re-ararnging and looking forward to starting a project when I got a call from my wife that my mother had slipped at a local store where they were shopping and they were on their way to the emergency room. Needless to say, I dropped everything and headed that way also. My mom had surgery for a broken hip on the 18th. She never woke up from the anesthesia and on the 19th her vitals failed and she died.

I also have a younger brother, 12 years my junior, who's developmental age is about 9 months. He suffers from MR, epilepsy and Cerebral Palsy. My mom was his full time care giver until the morning she fell. He requires full time attention as he does not feed himself, is wheelchair bound. Along with making funeral arrangements, I was busy trying to make arrangements for care for him

In July 4th I went to the hospital convinced that I was having a heart attack probalby brought on by stress. THe ER doc told me that my hear was fine, but I had a 2.7cm gallstone that had to come out. So, 5days later, I had my gall bladder removed.

This was followed by 4weeks of enforced rest (Don't lift anything heavier than 10lbs). So, basically, my entire summer has been shot to he**.

Ok, I have had my rant and my moment of martyrdom.

I am just glad to be back, to be back in the shop, back online, back to some semblance of normal and finally caught up on forum posts. (You guys sure do write a lot)

ANyway, I'm here again and hoping to get back in the swing of things.

Dennis
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Hey Dennis, my sympathy to you and your family. Happy to hear the ticker is OK.
    Glad to have you back

Howie

Comment

• rickd
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Hi Dennis,

I was just feeling a bit sorry for myself yesterday because I've had a busy summer and haven't been able to get too much shop time in. You're post made me realize again that I'm pretty lucky.

Glad to hear it was a gallstone problem and that your heart is o.k. Take care.
      rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

Welcome back Dennis. I hope things continue to get better for you.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

So why are you wasting time posting on here????? You have a lot of lost shop time to make up!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Jaden
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Trenton, MI
            • BT3100

Now with that newly organized shop, and all the time you've had to think about that first project back, you should come up with somthing pretty spectacular.............heck, even if its wooden drink coaster, its still gonna seem spectacular..........enjoy. and welcome back.

Steve
            "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Welcome back Dennis. Sorry to hear about all of the problems that you have been having. Losses, pain and problems like you have had are never easy, but know that you are being prayed for.
              Hank Lee
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

Good to see you back, Dennis. I'm very sorry for your loss of your Mom and all the other hardships. Stay tough, life can be like eating an Elephant, just concentrate on one bite at a time.
                ken

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

Glad you are back with us Dennis. Sorry to hear about your summer. Hopefully, the rest of the year will be a banner one.
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Hey Dennis, Sorry to hear about your Mom and other problems. Glad you're back. Make some sawdust!!
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Dennis, Sorry to hear about your mom and your surgery. I hope things get back to normal soon so you can hit the shop again.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...