• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

You Don't Have to Live in NY to Feel Proud

A friend sent this to me, it really made my day!

USS New York

With a year to go before it even touches the water, the Navy's amphibious assault ship USS New York has already made history. It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center.

USS New York is about 45 percent complete and should be ready for launch in mid-2007. Katrina disrupted construction when it pounded the Gulf Coast last summer, but the 684-foot vessel escaped serious damage, and workers were back at the yard near New Orleans two weeks after the storm.

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by a&n bsp; helicopters and assault craft.

"It would be fitting if the first mission this ship would go on is to make sure that bin Laden is taken out, his terrorist organization is taken out," said Glenn Clement, a paint foreman. "He came in through the back door and knocked our towers down and (the New York) is coming right through the front door, and we want them to know that."

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept. 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the Tradecenter steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and "the hair on my neck stood up." "It had a big meaning to it for all of us",he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? - 'Never Forget'

And I sure as h**l won't.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 02-18-2008, 02:08 PM.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I'm a long way away, but I'd like to think I can share a little of the pride.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
      Bandsaw Box Momma
      • Apr 2005
      • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

That is a very impressive ship. And I think it is fitting that they used the steel from the World Trade Center. And if we had a emoticon that was saluting i would be using it here.
      Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

That is the first time I heard about that. Thanks for sharing it Bruce.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

They had a program on either one of the Discovery Channels or the Military Channel showing the arivial, melting down and pouring of the bow. They also sowed it being installed on the ship. Very impressive and moving. Every time I see a program pm 9-11, I find the anger welling up in me again, and by the looks of things it isn't getting any better. It looks like we may need the USS New York in the next couple of years.

Tom

Comment

• just4funsies
            • Dec 2005
            • Florida.
            • BT3000

That's a good looking ship. Think how much better it will look with Bin Laden's HEAD hanging from the yard-arm...
            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• meika123
              • Dec 2002
              • Advance, NC, USA.
              • BT3000

I just love the way you guys talk. You echoed my emotions perfectly.
              9-11 changed me forever-in a very big way.
              A friend of mine from New York-who owns a hardware store where I do a lot of business just told me today that he is looking to assemble a listing of all the PD officers and FD that were killed at the towers.
              I'll never forget that day-and none of us should.
              Thanks Bruce for posting. Makes me feel proud all over again.

Dave in NC
              Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• gmack5
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

It's a good thing I don't have to speak, just type, cause I'm really choked with emotion right now. Thanks for posting the story.

Question: I'm sure there was more than 24 tonnes of Steel in those two Towers.....what did they do with the rest of it?
                Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                George

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I saw a program on the History Channel where they poured the bow to the New York. I'm not sure if it was Modern Marvels or something else. It was very interesting.

Regarding other uses of the scrap from the towers, I'm not sure where it all went, I do know there was some controversy about some of it. There are piece that have been sent to several communities who lost "home town" people in the disaster. For example, I just saw a local News story where Binghamton, NY has a section of beam that will be the centerpiece for a planned memorial.

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jl
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Nova Scotia, Canada.

Originally posted by gmack5
                    Question: I'm sure there was more than 24 tonnes of Steel in those two Towers.....what did they do with the rest of it?
                    Some time ago I heard on the radio that the steel was sent to a steel factory in Asia. I do not recall in what country.
                    Jean-Luc

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by gmack5
                      It's a good thing I don't have to speak, just type, cause I'm really choked with emotion right now. Thanks for posting the story.

Great stuff. I would hope that at least one big bullet was made from the steel and engraved with one particular name.
                      Lee

Comment

• gmack5
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                        Great stuff. I would hope that at least one big bullet was made from the steel and engraved with one particular name.
                        I'm not worried about a bullet with my name on it.....It's all the ones that are enscribed with "To whom it may concern" that I worry about!
                        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                        George

Comment

• Howard
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Plano, Tx.
                          • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I was there three weeks after it happened. They kept you a couple of blocks away but I had my camera with a long lens and got pictures. These two says it all. With such small resolution, you can't read the banner on the building behind the destroyed one but it says, "we will never forget".
                          Attached Files
                          Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Even though I posted the Illustration of the future USS New York, I've been thinking that the motto should be "Never Forgive". Some how this sems to reflect how most of us (especially here in NYC) feel.

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• meika123
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Advance, NC, USA.
                              • BT3000

Bruce,
                              Thanks again for this post. I still get a huge lump in my throat about this. A very sad day albeit a great wake up call for all of us.

Dave in NC
                              Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

Working...