Wireless Vonage VTA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Wireless Vonage VTA?

    Is there a wireless VTA available I can use with Vonage? Thinking about getting the service but the phone in the kitchen would require a wireless VTA. All I see is a wireless internet phone. I don't need a router, already have that. I want the VTA that my regular phone plugs into to be wireless.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • 5636
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

    #2
    Isn't the Vonage interface on your side of it an RJ-11 analog interface supporting standard phones? Why not use regular wireless phones within the house, interfacing to Vonage at a single point just as you would do for a wired phone?

    JR
    JR

    Comment

    • parnelli
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2004
      • 585
      • .
      • bt3100

      #3
      The phone side of the vonage adapter is a normal everyday RJ-11 phone jack. In most circumstances, (*if* you've disconnected from the regular phone lines at the box outside) when you plug the vonage adapter into any phone jack in the house, all the phone jacks will become availible.

      I am not aware of a vonage adapter that is a regular cordless phone, or of one that is wireless- although there is one that is a wireless AP.

      The VAST majority of people that have vonage use the adapter(even ones with router) AFTER the router, not before as vonage suggests. They suggest that because it theoretically is easier for the newbie, but it results in crummy phone service often.

      So- the answer is that if you're disconnecting regular phone service, AND your kitchen has a phone jack that your current cordless is plugged into, you should be able to use any of the regular vonage adapters and just plug it into a different jack in the house.


      http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=649

      http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html <--good one!

      ps- if you need a referral let me know
      Last edited by parnelli; 08-14-2006, 07:21 PM.

      Comment

      • crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • 10627
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

        #4
        Parnelli,

        Ya know I didn't think of that. However in my case I don't think it will work. I have DSL for broadband - no cable. Vonage can deliver unlimited voice cheaper than the phone co but I still would need the DSL.
        David

        The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

        Comment

        Working...