X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillW
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Grapevine, TX, USA.

My neighbor had the same complaint. I certainly understand the need for the flash, especially on consumer level cameras. What we did on my neighbors camera was to turn off red eye reduction. I can't tell you how to do this on your camera specifically so you may have to dig in the manual a little. It is generally indicated by a lightning bolt icon alongside an eyeball.

The flash charge delay can be eliminated by keeping fresh batteries onboard. The red eye reduction uses a 'pre-flash' to shrink the iris so there is less chance of light reflecting off the blood vessels in the back of your subjects eyeballs. The pre-flash fires and then waits a second or two to give the iris time to contract, then the flash fires. By turning off the red eye you eliminate the pre flash and the delay. My neighbors felt there was a noticeable improvement.

With digital cameras this is not such a critical issue. Most computers have easy to use red eye reduction tools so you can fix it in the computer. It takes a little more post production work, but not too much. Plus, you only have to do it on the shots you want to keep, not on the blurry ones you're going to throw out anyway.

Hope this helps.
    That's just my opinion, I could be wrong,

~Bill
    I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous!

Comment

Working...