• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russd
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004
    • SilverSpring, MD, USA.

PDA Question

Hello, my name is Amie. I am using Rusty's user name to ask a question. He always speaks highly of this site and all the great questions/answers on it... SO, I am hoping you can help me. And hey, two birds with one stone, it's what I am hoping Rusty will buy me for my birthday, so any info would be great!

My cell phone recently died (ok, it was eaten by a dog!) and I got a new one. I really love the new phone, BUT the calendar feature sucks. I used my old phone for everything. I like to be able to enter all my appointments (with two kids, I have a lot) and have an alarm go off shortly before them. With my new phone, I can only enter 25 at a time. Then I have to delete, which is not good for when I need to go back to see WHEN I had done something. I also like being able to keep track of birthdays and addresses, again, old phone, this was possible, new phone, only 25 birthdays and nothing on addresses.

It was suggested that I try a PDA. I had one friend tell me all the pros and cons (not many) of the Zire 31. If anyone could maybe suggest a brand and/or warn me away from a brand, I would really appreciate it. Also, I am on a Mac most of the time, so I would need the computer software to be compatible with that (I think most PDAs have a computer back up program). Another question would be, has anyone purchased a used PDA? My concern is whether or not it is worth it, or if it's better to just go the more expensive route of buying new. When I was searching, I kept coming across re-furbished ones.

Thanks in advance for your help - and Rusty, when you read this.... remember next month, 31st!!! :0)

Amie
    Rusty

If I had more room, I'd buy more tools!
  • Holbren
    • Oct 2004
    • Heathrow, FL.

Amie,

I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

I have tried a PDA a couple of times and the major problem for me was not having it when I needed it. For example, you leave the dentist and make another apointment. I always have my cell phone but don't alway carry a PDA because they are large. So, I use my cell phone and sync it up with my computer.

I recently had cell phone issue with my Motorola MPX220 which is a smartphone and decided to get it fixed rather than buy a new cell phone because I was worried about not having the features I have now.

I use a Blackberry too and often find I don't have it on me because of the size. My opinion, try to get a new phone.
    Brian
    Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    www.holbren.com

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If you want Mac compatibility, Palm is really the only game in town, AFAIK. The least expensive model they offer is the Z22 ($99), which will do all the things you're interested in, and then some.

The next higher priced model is the Tungsten E2 ($199). In addition to all the other extra features (MP3 player, video playback, etc.), this model has an SD memory card slot, which you can back up to, so you wouldn't need to regularly connect to a computer.

I'd be inclined to steer clear of rebuilts, etc. Too much risk, if you ask me. That's the advice I gave my son before he got his E2 -- which he's been very happy with.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

Tom is probably correct, I develop games for the pocket pc, and while they are vastly superior to palm in many ways, they are probably not compatible with the Mac. I cannot say for certain, however, having not tried to sync a pocket pc to a mac. Note thought that the latest palm cell phone combo is actually a pocket pc running windows mobile. (WinCE variant)
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• Anna
          • Feb 2006
          • CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Hi,

I don't really use my PDA as a PDA, but I can comment on the Mac aspect of it. If you decide to go for something other than Palm, check out The Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/). It provides sync compatibility for Palm, Windows Mobile, Sony PSP and the Sidekick family.

I have a Garmin iQue which is a PDA/GPS and runs on the Palm OS. It was not supported by Garmin for the Mac, but through some Mac users who were determined to use the device, I found a way to sync it with my Macs just fine. I still need Virtual PC to create the maps, but that''s no big deal.

The other thing is that PDAs are basically dead after the smart phones came around. You might want to check out the Treos and Blackberries. And the Sidekicks.

Comment

• Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I'm with Holbren, you want one device not two unless you like dressing like Batman with a utility belt... I like my Blackberry, but the device itself isn't great, and certainly not as nice as many of the Windows Mobile devices.

The big seller is the functionality. Wireless calendar support so your AA (kids?) can schedule their own meetings and your calender is updated in near realtime is my most loved, unwilling to even think about giving up, type feature. However, the application choice is much more limited on RIMthan on a WinCE/Mobile device though. Claims that they have Mac support but we don't run those so I can't comment about how well it works.

Kristofor.

Comment

• ScottGolden
              Established Member
              • May 2006

Here's my 2 cents.

First carrying 2 or more devices is just not workable. Even an uber-geek like me does not feel comfortable with more than 1 device. I had held off on getting a PDA for years because of this.

When t-mobile started offering their MDA, I got a hold of one.

I can't say enough about them. All of my info at my finger tips. I now have a XV6600 with verizon. (t-Mobile service stinks now that AT&T wireless is not sharing towers with them. Cingular nixed that when they bought AT&T) The device has every thing I can think of a use for on it. Also as a software developer I have the ability to write my own programs. This is not for the faint of heart but it can be done.

Some of the uses I have put this device to are:

1) Downloading and playing music. iPod - shemy pod. I got one of those and have been very unhappy with the support from Apple for it.
              2) Playing Videos. I used have to use a laptop for this but with the PPC I copy whole movies to the SD card and play them.
              3) Messing with people in bars. The system has a IR port so with some relitivly cheap software you can change TV channels. Stop me from watching the mets play will they!!
              4) Keeping track of my hours for my different clients. Helps me to get money for buy more clamps. (does this mean I am becoming a clamp-aholic? Nah , I can stop any time I want to. Really)
              5) Pulling email when on the road for work.
              6) Bunches of games (tetris, poker, solitare and others)
              6) Oh and most important! Checking out bt3central the bargin forum from Lowes or HD.

Sorry but, I do not know about support for MACs.

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I will confirm what people already said:
                PDA and phone separately is too much. PDA and phone should combine.
                Combinations include Treo, smartphone, blackberry.
                Smartphone is the most feature rich and the most powerfull processor (best games). The pay off - short battery life and it is Windows, not Mac.
                Treo has a weaker processor but for calendar etc it is more than adequate. Battery life is great and it works with Mac.
                Blackberry is in between, not sure how it works with Mac. In your place - I would think Treo.
                Alex V

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Amie,

I'm going to take a slightly different view. If you're like most women and carry a purse, I'd say get the Palm Z22 (or better, depending on how much you can persuade Rusty to spend) and see how it works for you. I've been carry a Handspring Visor for 5+ years, and as a lifelong note-taker and list-maker I've found it utterly indispensible.

Eighteen months ago I got my first cell phone, and all these other guys are right ... carrying two devices is a major-league hassle. But we're GUYS. As a rule, GUYS don't carry purses. You probably do. And if you do, you'll barely notice the PDA is there in terms of size and weight.

If you didn't already have a new cell phone I'd urge you to look at the new Treo 700 that uses the Palm OS (because it will work with a Mac). But you can have the next best thing for very little money in the form of the Z22 (which also works with a Mac).
                  Larry

Comment

• scorrpio
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I am used to having full Pocket PC functionality, so I still carry around one. Calendar, tasks, a very nice calculator, password-protected codewallet, excel, word, notes, etc.

However, I want to eventually go single device, but I am waiting for them to go down in price and go up in storage capacity. I was really considering the XV6700 that Verizon offers - it is a compact-sized PocketPC + phone that slides open to reveal a keyboard. However, it is pricey, and has no storage to speak of. If an iPod can fit a 30GB hard drive, so can a PDA! Basically, I want a device that has compactness and commincabilty of a phone, functionality of a PDA, and storage of an iPod.

My current phone is LG VX9800 ('the V'). Which has a keyboard and a whole lot of goodies. In contacts, I can store addresses, phones, emails, birthdays and such. Has a card slot for storing pictures and music. Even has a GPS to use with VZ Navigator.

Comment

• Otto
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2005
                      • Wrentham, Ma, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I've been using a treo for several years now. I'd be lost without it. I suggest buying a used 650 off ebay and then if you get hooked upgrade to the newest model when its time to renew your service contract. They are far too expensive to buy new without the advantage of a new contract discount. The Palm OS models are compatible with a Mac and will do far more than most of us are willing to learn. Check out these Treo forums.

http://mytreo.net/

http://www.treocentral.com/

My most used application on my treo is my grocery list called handy shopper.
                      It is free and keeps all my grocery needs organized by store and Isle so that when I shop there is no wandering around looking for items all over the place.
                      Otto

Comment

• jziegler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Salem, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I think that Larry is right on this one. I bought two identical zires about 3 years ago, one for myself, the other for my wife. Mine hasn't been used in about a year. Hers gets used daily. The only real difference is that she has a purse to carry all of her things in, so two devices is no big deal. I sometime have trouble with my cellphone falling out of my pocket, no room for a PDA. So, get a cheaper one to try out, consider getting a refurbished unit to save a few bucks, and see if you like it.

Jim

Comment

• russd
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Nov 2004
                          • SilverSpring, MD, USA.

Thanks!!!!!!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has posted. I really appreciate all the replys, and fingers crossed for my b-day :O)
                          Rusty

If I had more room, I'd buy more tools!

Comment

• bigsteel15
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Edmonton, AB
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I'll take what seems to be the unpopular view.
                            I love my Blackberry. I thought about a WindowsCE based unit seperate from my phone, but when our carrier put Blackberry on sale for $50 my boss and I both got them.
                            Now I am never unreachable.
                            What I like is that I don't have to take a pile of phone calls, just send e-mail and I can reply.
                            I can view most attachments and I don't need to create them.
                            Now I'm not a travelling salesman type, so that would change things, but for appointments it connects directly with Outlook and I'm sure other programs.
                            Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                            Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, there are also CE devices that include a phone, several of them, in fact.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...