• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Military Trivia Winner(s) And Correct Answer

I want to thank all of you who took part in this. It was fun and had some really good answers. Unfortunately most were incorrect. Some military standards are based on tradition and uniformity. LarryG was the first to mention "flagpole", even though it was close, not entirely correct. Rosesunkist mentioned the base of the post flag pole. Even closer but not entirely correct, but he did say "post". U.S. military bases have many flagpoles. There is only one POST FLAGPOLE. Building #1 on ALL U.S. military bases is the POST FLAGPOLE.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
  • rosesunkist
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • LaVernia, TX
    • BT3100

YAY!!!

So, what did I win? LOL I knew that these years in the military would pay off some day. Well this and being able to make MRE bombs.
    Ahhhhh...the memories. Oh, wait. Can't be memories until it's over.
    Just think of something witty and pretend you saw it here.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

If you would have said there is a truck parked on top of building #1, I'd have had no problem with it.
      Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

OK, you know the story 'bout the "truck".

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
          OK, you know the story 'bout the "truck".

OK, I'll bite: What's the story about the "truck???"

Never served in the military; too much of an issue with authority.

Many thanks to those of you who have. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Most belive the ball on the top is called a truck. The truck is the upper pulley assembly.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Dayton, OH

Cabinetman, while I have noted you are usually the guy to listen to, have to disagree with you on this one. Just retired from the Air Farce after 20 years, and at none of the bases (NOT posts, that's an Army thing) was Building 1 a flagpole. Fact is, I worked at Building 1 at one or two of them, and guar-an-darn-teed I wasn't working inside a flagpole.

At a lot of AF bases, building 1 is the Wing Headquarters. At the base I currently work at as a silly-vilian, its the big logistics center. Guess that just goes to prove that I never did work on a military base...

WoodButcher
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• MilDoc

Ah, nope, as stated, at Fort Hood Building #1 is the ACS Center, not the flagpole. It's where I work. Check out the Ft Hood web site. Maybe saying it's the flagpole is either tradition, or another myth, like the contents of the finial on top of the pole.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Woodbutcher

I went into the Army in the mid sixties, and have never found anyone who knew about Building #1. There was a military history geek in my group who played soldier since the Boy Scouts. He couldn't wait until he could enlist in the Army. He knew facts that would amaze lifers. This was not one of those "military bearing" things pounded into our heads during training. According to his explanation this bit of info is/was traditional to the actual setting up of a military post. When there was nothing there, and a Post Flagpole was erected, a ceremony took place commemorating the establishment of a military post, calling that particular flagpole the Post Flagpole and calling it Building #1, as it being the first structure. Part of the legend included that in the first dedicated military bases, the terminology existed as a "secret" from the enemy, designating a meeting place in the event of ambush or attack that was on purpose an obscure definition of a "building".

As you see from the responses, it's not a known fact. I don't know if the actual numbering systems used by the military or different branches of the military coincide numerically, or ever did. I tried a search on the subject and read some of the books I have on military history, and if it was to be kept a secret, they sure made it happen. I'm a believer in the efforts of the "defenders of the people" in the colonies before an actual military was formed. Their attempts to instill a sense of pride and honor in their quest remains today with both facts widely known and some not.

Comment

Working...