• Show
Clear All
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

A note to Larry G

Larry,
    As we were discussing "Dale's Pale Ale" a while ago in another thread, I happened to see it today in a Grocery store in my area. So I bought a 6-pack of the Oskar's Blues, and honestly I didn't like it at all. It was extremely bitter, and had a terrible after-taste.
    Needless to say, I was very disappointed, as I had great expectations. But, alas, it just wasn't to be. I do really appreciate the heads-up on it, as I am always willing to try a "New Brew".
    As Thom 2 would say: ummmmmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!
    Thanks again Larry.

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by meika123
    So I bought a 6-pack of the Oskar's Blues, and honestly I didn't like it at all.
    Dave,

Well, you and the next person I meet who says that will make two.

Seriously: I don't know what your tastes in brews run to, but if you're not partial to pale ales, especially the darker ones (strange dichotomy, that), I can well understand your saying that. One of my favorites is Pete's Wicked, which alas we can not currently get here, and a friend of mine describes it EXACTLY the same way: bitter, bad aftertaste. Different strokes, I guess.

Still, thanks for letting me know, and I'll pass along your comments to the proprietor!
    Larry

Comment

• meika123
      • Dec 2002
      • Advance, NC, USA.
      • BT3000

Larry,
      I really don't understand what there was about Dale's that I didn't like. It reminded me a lot of "The Guiness Stout", which is entirely too robust for my taste.
      The Newcastle Brown Ale I drink has a little sharp "flavor" to it, but not as abstract as the Dale's.
      I mean no offence to you about the Dale's, but it is just not for me. So what, $7.50 blown. I blow more than that every day.

Thanks again Buddy,

Dave in NC
      Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Beeeeeeeeer!

Myself, I'm a dark beer/ale/stout kinda guy. The Schlafly brewery here makes and Oatmeal Stout that is a meal in itself. Thick, opaque, and a strong taset of hops. Kicks like a Missouri mule, too!

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Hmm, if you consider Newcastle 'sharp', looks like you are definitely on the mild side of the spectrum.

I rather like stouts - including Guinness and such, but recently, I tried out the 'Imperial Double Stout', and ouch - was like drinking black ink. Could not finish a single bottle.

Now, my own preference is various German darks. Warsteiner Dunkel, Erdinger Dunkel, Kostritzer Shwarzbier, Aventinus Dunkel, Ayinger Dunkel. Erdinger is ny favorite, but hard to find.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by meika123
            I mean no offence to you about the Dale's, but it is just not for me.
            Absolutely none taken, don't worry about that. Like I said, different strokes.

Guinness Stout would be a good example. You described it as too robust for your tastes. To me, despite a name like "Stout" and the fact the stuff is black as tar, it tastes thin, bland, watery.
            Larry

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by gsmittle
              The Schlafly brewery here makes and Oatmeal Stout that is a meal in itself.
              That's some form of heresy in St. Louis, isn't it? From what I remember, if it ain't Busch it ain't beer in them parts! And I'm not talking Budweiser or Michelob - it had to be Busch!

JR
              JR

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by LarryG
                Guinness Stout would be a good example. You described it as too robust for your tastes. To me, despite a name like "Stout" and the fact the stuff is black as tar, it tastes thin, bland, watery.
                Speaking of Stout, has anyone ever tried a Harvey&Sons Imperial Double Stout? Now that's tar! I don't consider myself a coniss, connis, uhhh, a knower of good beer, but I recommend trying no more than one of these to know how even a good thing can get out of hand.

After the fourth bottle rinse, it was coming out looking like a barley ale.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• MilDoc

Anyone tried Samuel Adams extreme beers -- Millenium, Utopia, Tripple Bock?

At 25% alcohol, rich, dark, hoppy, 1 (read "ONE") Utopia is a flavor to savor!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

I have a friend who received a number of bottles of each of the Utopia beers while doing biz in Mass. He was so kind as to have a taste testing for a few friends.
                    The Millennium was certainly the best of the group IMHO. I found the Triple Bock and Chocolate to be practially undrinkable and since others were enjoying I had very little. I love high gravity beers, but this was not my cup of tea (or malt).
                    Larry, I agree Guinness can run hit or miss, mostly driven by delivery method. Are you drinking bottles, tap or can? Tap poured Guinness is a whole different ball game. Guinness Extra Stout is yet another ball game. It may be what you are looking for. I like it and can't get my beer dark enough.
                    Lastly, looking to brewing your own beer folks. Nothing like the smell of a kettle of malt boiling. Deep, rich and robust. Mmmmmmmm.
                    You will not only be able to develop the perfect beer for yourself, you will also know what to look for when ordering or buying a commercial beer.

Comment

Working...