• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElRay
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • NoIL

Rockler in Schaumburg, IL?

Did I go there on a bad day? SHMBO said "Let's buy you something for Father's Day" (Which is understandable with a precious/precocious/dare-devil 2-year-old and midway through a high-rick pregnancy) on Sunday, so we swung by the Rockler in Schaumburg, IL with the intent of getting a router fence. They actually had none in stock -- they don't carry any fences (router, drill press, miter gauge, etc.) separately in the store, only kits.

So, I thought I'd get a set of plywood edging bits (either Burgess-style, or the tongue-n-groove ones) that several manufacturers have been selling for months. They guys there had no clue about what I was talking about.

Also, the guys working there really seemed bothered when asked questions -- by anybody, so I know it just wasn't my sunny disposition.

I did find some things to get, but when I got home, I saw the sale flyer they put in the bag (there were none within customers' reach in the store). EVERYTHING I bought went on sale on Monday. I could have easily held off a day or so. Even at the most teenage, bored out of their wits staffed retail location I've been too, sales folks have known what's on sale starting tomorrow and have said something.

I'd be annoyed, but it was a bunch of guys working on Sunday, on Father's Day, so I'm willing to chalk this-up as an abberation.

Anybody else have experience with this location?

Ray
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    --- Robert A. Heinlein
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

No, never been in the store, but I'd be taking my stuff back for a return/rebuy the next day to get the sales price (unless they just correct your receipt without the merchandise).

Comment

• darrellcraig
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • Seattle, WA, USA.

I'm fed up with my experiences at Rockler in Seattle WA and plan to shop at Woodcraft instead (probably owned by the same company, but they seem much more knowledgeable and have better quality products in stock) locally, and try to get most things from Lee Valley. Good excuse to run to Vancouver BC to the LV retail store...

Comment

• dale
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Mesa, AZ, USA.
        • BTS-15

The people in the Scottsdale, AZ Rockler have always been courteous, attentive, and helpful. Sorry your experience was so different.
        I really am going to make something one of these days.

Comment

• Lee4847
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Canton, Oh
          • BT3100

Parma Ohio Rockler Store

I have had nothing but great experences at the store in Parma Ohio. I went up there once to get a router table and while walking by the desk I seen the sale flier stating what I was going to buy would be on sale in three days. When the salesman asked if he could help, I said I was going to get a router table but I guessed I would have to come back next week. He said no problem he would just ring it up at the sale price!

They have given me good advice and had everything that I was looking for when I needed it. Possibly different stores have various stocking levels of products.
          Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

My Rockler in San Diego is great. One or two guys there are just there for the
            paycheck but the other 10 are awesome. I can blame Rockler for getting me
            really started in WWing. I walked in 4 years ago to buy some knockdown
            hardware for a cheapo bed and some weekends now I feel like I live there. They
            are only 3 miles down the road. I'm moving next week and the closest Rockler
            (Pittsburgh) is over 5 hours away. Boohoo. Crappy service or not, I'd still go.
            Heck, I still shop at HD.

Comment

• LYU370
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Streamwood, IL.

My experience has been the total opposite at that store. Everyone is usually friendly and helpful. Went in to get some glue a while back and they told me it was going to be on sale starting Monday.

Hmmm....
              Andy

Comment

• ElRay
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • NoIL

Originally posted by LYU370
                My experience has been the total opposite at that store. Everyone is usually friendly and helpful. Went in to get some glue a while back and they told me it was going to be on sale starting Monday.

Hmmm....
                OK. I'll chalk it up to a bunch of unhappy guys having to work on Father's Day. Maybe the Manager put all the "I should fire them, but I'd rather they just quit." employees on for Sunday "to close". There were more employees in there than customers.

Ray
                "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
                --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...