Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Feel like a kindergartner

[Alert: juvenile stream-of-consciousness rant to follow]

I am making an Adirondack chair based on a design from WW Journal. The design is sketched out at 1:5, so I figure this should be no problem, right?

First problem--can't enlarge the picture on copier more than 400%, also a PITA to copy and tape together. Gave up after wasting a couple dozen sheets.

So, I went to get some 1x1" graph paper. Surprisingly hard to find. Looked all over town, finally found some at Office Depot. Then I started transferring the design from little squares to big ones. Had to count out all those little squares, draw freehand curves, etc. More complicated than it looks. Took several hours.

Then, I had to cut it out. Now, I'm pretty good with sharp objects, but it's hard to cut curvy stuff with scissors, especially since I used poster paper for some of the pieces. I think I gave my thumb a blister.

So far, I have spent about 8-9 hours over 3 nights and have done no more than make paper templates for my project. I have yet to cut the first piece of wood.

And then I thought, didn't I do stuff like this in kindergarten? Am I reverting? Will I be demanding a pint of milk instead of Heineken? Should I plan on taking a nap between 1:30 and 2:15 every day on my little mat? Where are the little wooden blocks--oh yeah, I gotta make those, right after I finish transferring and cutting out the paper templates...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Kindy

Heh! I feel your pain!
    <Just don't eat any paste - tastes terrible with Heinken>
    To do is to be.

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

You were using safety scissors weren't you? Those things won't cut air.

By the way, if you enlarge the original by 250%, then enlarge the copy by 200%, you'll get a copy 500% larger than the original.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by Russianwolf
        You were using safety scissors weren't you? Those things won't cut air.

By the way, if you enlarge the original by 250%, then enlarge the copy by 200%, you'll get a copy 500% larger than the original.
        Uh, you're right, but we don't learn that 'til 2nd grade...

I thought of that. But the process of moving the picture around on the copier platen inch by inch to enlarge just the right area, then lining up and piecing together those dozen or so sheets was too onerous to contemplate. At least after my 2nd beer.
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Jeff,

Next time you need graph paper try this program. The choices available are amazing.

http://www.marquis-soft.com/

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Does your Kindergarten have a scanner? (Mine didn't, but you might want to check.) You could scan the sketches, and then print out at whatever size you want.

Originally posted by germdoc
            Should I plan on taking a nap between 1:30 and 2:15 every day on my little mat?
            I'm not seeing any down side to that! (Other than the fact that today's nap time is over.)

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• TJG
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

In kindergarten we did it this way:

http://users.hubwest.com/hubert/mrsc...antograph.html

Of course, you could buy one, but where's the fun in that.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&cookietest=1

Comment

• MilDoc

That's why I bought plans from LeeValley -- full size!

Comment

• Brian G
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                  • G0899

Next time, during recess, take your plans to Kinkos (tee-hee. . . .kinkos. . . ) and use their plotter copier to make full-size plans. Rough cut the parts and glue them to 1/4" MDF. Then you can use power tools to cut and sand the MDF templates to size.
                  Brian

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

...and then you go into the house and get attacked by your stuffed tiger!

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Knuckles
                      Next time, during recess, take your plans to Kinkos (tee-hee. . . .kinkos. . . ) and use their plotter copier to make full-size plans. Rough cut the parts and glue them to 1/4" MDF. Then you can use power tools to cut and sand the MDF templates to size.
                      That is where I would go.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

Brian

Comment

• germdoc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Omaha, NE
                          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Very good suggestions all, yet somehow I must do it the hard way...

I didn't think about that pantograph thingy. That's pretty cool. ("Raise your hand--who can spell pantograph?") Next time...
                          Jeff

Comment

• germdoc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Omaha, NE
                            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I made the templates yesterday out of hardboard. I put a new 1/4" blade on the bandsaw and gave it a workout. It's harder than it looks to cut all those curves--some of them are pretty tight. Once I get the boards all prepared (glued up, flattened, thicknessed and cut to length) I cut 'em out and then really have some fun.

As an aside, let me praise the Craftsman 12" Eurostyle bandsaw and Timberwolf bandsaw blades. Both worked great and are highly recommended.

In case you're wondering, it's not the usual boxy design. It has been refined a little bit with a lot of design details that should look nice but will take some time to do properly:

Jeff

Comment

Working...