Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Window or aisle seat?

When you fly which do you prefer?

Most folks I know says window cause then you can lean against the bulkhead and sleep. I can't sleep in planes trains or automobiles, so I say aisle, more leg room.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Bruce Platt
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • Swanzey, NH, USA.

Aisle, I hate climbing over people to get out of my seat. I fly frequently and hate being trapped in my seat.
    Bruce Platt

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I generally prefer aisle, but on longer flights/trips it really depends. Having to climb over others is bad, but having others climb over you is not much better. If I am in the aisle, and the window seat guy has an upset stomach and has to go every 5 min - I'd rather have the window. Or, I once sat next to a woman with a 3 year old kid, who kept going running down the aisle and back - I was sure glad to be in the window seat.

Comment

• BearPipes-1
        Established Member
        • May 2006
        • Silicon Valley, CA
        • Ryobi BT3100

Window.

I can't sleep on planes, but I hate being crawled past 12 times, especially if I've got the laptop set up and am thick in a game of Hearts of Iron 2.

So I like the window seat, and I do what I can to avoid having to get up at all during the course of the flight. Since I only do trips in the continental US, that's pretty easy to accomplish.
        Don't just say no to kickback.

Comment

• bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

I take up the whole row!!

When I fly it's with my wife and two small children, we take up almost a row (aircraft depending), if not people usually want to sit somewhere else anyway. Even if you are a row away, you're not safe from the terror of long non-stop flights, a 3 year old and a baby! Screaming, flying food, eyes peering over the seat at you, puking, decompression ear-popping screaming (different than the other screaming).

Ahh, it makes me want to fly to Europe right now.. Sometimes, I'd rather sit out on the wing with an air tank and let them sort things out without me.

But if I fly alone, it's aisle for me. I like to sit mid-plane, above the wing spar as it's the strongest part of the plane.

Bill
          Last edited by bmyers; 06-09-2006, 11:18 AM.
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• just4funsies
            • Dec 2005
            • Florida.
            • BT3000

Depends on the plane. I have wide shoulders, and having a window often gets me some needed shoulder room, but on long flights, the convenience of getting up easier from an aisle seat is good, too, and it also makes it easier to grab a different seat with no middle neighbor (if there happens to be one) for a little more room.
            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Of course, the correct answer is: I prefer flying first class.

Comment

• Boomer_01
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006

I hate to fly

So I prefer and isle seat in the terminal......otherwise on the plane itself it makes no real difference to me since the internal terror is virtually the same.....only difference is if I have a window seat I can actually see the 36000 feet between me and certain death.....

Boomer

Comment

• Scottydont
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                  • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I travel about 80,000 miles per year. At 6"-0" and 260lbs. definately an aisle seat unless I get my MVP Gold upgrade to first class then I don't care!
                  Scott
                  "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Since the distance between my butt and the front of my knees is usually 1" greater than the distance between the back of my seat and the back of the seat in front of me, I prefer the emergency isle seats. They have a little more room. If I have a preference, I perfer window there, because I like to watch the wings flex in the heavy turbulence.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Aisle seat all the way.

United messed me up a few weeks ago, though. Their lowest fare does not come with the privilege of assigned seating! That's right, you have to wait until you get to the gate to get your seat. On the return leg I actually paid $54 for the privilege of gettin an assigned seat the day before my flight.

The romance is definitely gone from business travel.

JR
                      JR

Comment

• MilDoc

Window seat on 2-3 hr flights (I never seem to "have to go"). Aisle seat overseas flights, so I can get up and move around every hour or so.

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

I guess I don't have a real preference.

Window: Easier to sleep in and I usually fall asleep before the plane leaves the jetway.
                          Aisle: More room but get bugged more often.

As far as screaming kids go — I herd of a flight attendant who stopped a kid who was running up and down the aisles and ask if he'd like to go play outside

Being the nice guy I am, it's fun to sit behind a nervious flier and make comments like, "Wow. Look at those wings flap!"
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• jziegler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Salem, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Since I uaually travel with LOML, not for business, I really don't care too much. It seems like most of the current flights to Europe (where we fly most often) are planes with 2-4-2 seating, so if possible we'll take the two outside seats. Either way, it doesn't matter too much, we'll swap around when we feel like it. Also, we tend to fly mid-week when possible (cheaper flights), so there are frequently empty seats to spread out into.

Jim

Comment

• Tom Miller
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by bmyers
                              ...Screaming, flying food, eyes peering over the seat at you, puking, decompression ear-popping screaming (different than the other screaming)....
                              Not to mention the kids acting up!

Ahhh, travelling with kids -- does it get any better? I'd like to think so.

I'm window seat all the way.

Regards,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...