Warning! Potentially political barbeque thread!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Warning! Potentially political barbeque thread!

Well, it's been quite a weekend! Friday was the Last Day of School, and it only took four hours for the computer to accept my grades.

Saturday my in-laws celebrated their 50th anniversary, complete with Mass and reception afterward. (Wore a suit and everything...)

Sunday was spent at my Mom's house hanging the shop door I made two weeks ago. Of course, it was nice a square and the opening wasn't, so it took alllllllll day to hang.

Today I spent barbequing: brats (from a little grocery in Gerald that makes their own), chicken, hamburgers.....

Here's the political part: the sauce. I start with whatever commercial sauce is on sale, then add a half can of good beer (the other half for the cook ), some Country Bob's Sauce, some Tabasco, a little Coke (not diet), chopped onions, maybe a little Wostershire sauce. Apply liberally with plenty of beer for added taste.

Any sauce recipes you're willing to share?

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I used to use some Worcester and SoCo on steaks. Add a little garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.

Also apply liberally with plenty of beer - the beer is for the chef though.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pierhogunn
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

A good eastern NC bbq sauce is

1 gallon cider vinager
      2 cups sugar
      1 cup salt
      1 cup black pepper
      1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes

combine all ingredients in a large non-reactive pot
      bring to a quick boil, stirring often

KEEP YOUR FACE OUT OF THE POT. DAMHIKT

let the sauce cool, and return it to the container that the vineager came out of. Store for up to 1 year in a dark cool place.

The longer this sauce sets, up until the 1 year mark, the better it will taste.

This sauce is good for Chicken quarters, slow cooked over a grill, and pork shoulders.

You can also marinade in this sauce.
      You can mop this sauce on while grilling.
      You can put this sauce on the table.
      Just don't drink it.
      It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

I like mine basted well with a good mustard-base sauce on the outside, and a liberal coating of good beer on the inside (the sauce goes on the meat, the beer goes in the cook)...

Actually, today the order of the day was 2" thick delmonicos and cajun-seasoned prawns wrapped in bacon, and the beer eventually gave way to an excellent Oregon pinot...

Anybody who doesn't think that America is the greatest place on earth should GET OUT! (Apologies to our online brothers in Australia, Canada and the U.K... I know you know what I mean...) And this last toast goes to the bravest of the brave, the men and women who guard our right to live free. Cheers!
        Last edited by just4funsies; 05-29-2006, 09:18 PM.
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Sauce on Brats! You put sauce on Brats!!!! I hope that was for the chicken.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by Ken Weaver
            Sauce on Brats! You put sauce on Brats!!!! I hope that was for the chicken.
            I would never defile a fine brat with sauce!!!!! The sauce was for the chicken and my one kid who insists on saucing burgers.

The brats got a heaping helping of Bavarian sauerkraut and some brown mustard. Yum!

Oh, and more beer for the cook....

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

Well my burgers get nothing but meat, garlic salt, browned Vidalia onions and garlic.

And, while I love a good, old-fashioned American barbecue, IMO the yummiest recipe is "Korean barbecued short ribs". It involves soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, chopped green onions and sugar or honey. When I do it I usually just wing the amount of the ingredients--about equal quantities of soy sauce and vinegar.

This is from epicurious.com:

1 cup soy sauce
              1/2 cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine) or sweet Sherry
              1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
              1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
              1/4 cup oriental sesame oil
              1/4 cup minced garlic (about 15 cloves)
              2 large green onions, chopped
              5 pounds Korean-style short ribs (beef chuck flanken , cut 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick across bones; about 20 pieces)

Shred meat on bones with sharp knife to tenderize, then marinate overnight.

Mmmmmm....
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...