• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Another reason we don't blow off the rules

Another reason we don't blow off the rules and decide not use featherboards is when we are cutting a couple quick rips on 2 14" pieces of oak for the ent center project one of them might come up off the table and the next time we might not be standing to the side and might catch it in the gut or worse.

But we all know better than that, right?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • MilDoc

Originally posted by crokett
    But we all know better than that, right?
    Yeah. Sure we do.......... but then Sometimers Disease kicks in. Sometimes I remember and sometimes I forget...

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

You okay David?????
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by lrogers
        You okay David?????
        I'm fine. I was standing off to the side like I always do. The piece missed me when it came off the saw. The dent in the side of the drill press stand will be a reminder for me.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• WayneJ
          • Jan 2004
          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Were you using the guard or riving knife? Glad it missed. Good thing close only counts in horse shoes and hand granades.
          Wayne
          Wayne J

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Riving knife yes, guard no. My knife is always on This was a case of the wood rising up off the blade. Featherboard or other hold down would have prevented it.

Already on record as saying I don't use the guard. Took it off 3 mos after I got the saw and my 2nd close call of nipping (or worse) a finger. Haven't had any almosts since. Well except for this. False sense of security for me anyway to have a guard. Wasn't used to it as I learned to use a tablesaw in jr high with no guard and my dad's didn't have one either. I use push sticks, push shoes, etc. I don't recommend it for anyone but me. One of these days I may get a Shark guard.
            David

Comment

• pierhogunn
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Every time I approach my saw I clearly hear the words of my shop teacher, Mr. Smith, a wise man

Boy, never under any circumstance do you stand directly behind that saw, something may come out, hit the steeple, and ring the bells. And I will laugh...

I sure do miss him, he was a hoot,

Glad to hear you are okay
              It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                I'm fine. I was standing off to the side like I always do. The piece missed me when it came off the saw. The dent in the side of the drill press stand will be a reminder for me.
                I have a couple of those reminders around myself.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• gchapman
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Rochester, MN, USA.

Never forget that first kickback when you're staring at the saw thinking what the "He#@" was that about. I didn't have a Mr. Smith so it was trial and error on an old Craftsman garage sale saw. It was before the internet too. So after the second board drew blood in the shape of a 1 x 6 on my stomach, I shut the whole thing down and went in the house. I had to swallow some pride and call my FIL for advice. I learned two things that weekend; 1. The blade is just part of what's dangerous on a table saw and 2. My FIL was much more easy to get along with when we were talking about a common interest.

Glenn
                  \"I see,\" said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw.

Comment

• GeekMom
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Bonney Lake, WA.
                    • Shopsmith Mark V

Glad you weren't hurt! Thanks for the reminder. I'm hoping to keep the 'reminders' (ie. dents in drill press and 2x6 bruises) in someone else's workshop!
                    Karen
                    <><

Comment

Working...