• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

A quarter of an inch off!

LOML and I bought a new refrig to replace the one that flooded the kitchen a couple of weeks ago. This one had all the bells and whistles; two kinds of ice in the door, water, a cool blue light when you pressed the dispenser levers, sliding shelves in the frig section, etc. (I figured out a way to tap in a margarita dispenser, too....)

HOWEVER, we didn't measure the hole first, and the new fridge is 1/4" too wide! So, off it went back to the store until we can find one a little bit skinnier.... I didn't want to trim the counter and cabinet a quarter inch.

Grrr!

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

This would have made a terrific excuse to get those new cabinets and granite countertop...
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Wood_workur
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi bt3100-1

...And all the new toold you would need to buld/install them. Or you could relocate the fridge, and put a bar where it was. (I mean a steel bar, not a bar for drinks. )
      Alex

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

Been there, done that, bought that T-shirt!
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Of all the luck. I know that was aggravating.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
            LOML and I bought a new refrig to replace the one that flooded the kitchen a couple of weeks ago. This one had all the bells and whistles; two kinds of ice in the door, water, a cool blue light when you pressed the dispenser levers, sliding shelves in the frig section, etc. (I figured out a way to tap in a margarita dispenser, too....)

g.
            How much for this thing? When you say all the bells and whistles, I am picturing one of the $10,000 ones that has internet access, supposably to order food online. So you can surf here, while trying to figure out what your hungry for.

I did the too big thing too, but not in the kitchen, it was getting it in the entry, up stairs, aound several shelves that were mounted. (need a whistling smiley)
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

You're going to have me twitching for the next two weeks. We just ordered new kitchen appliances and I think I measured everything right.
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                How much for this thing? When you say all the bells and whistles, I am picturing one of the $10,000 ones that has internet access, supposably to order food online. So you can surf here, while trying to figure out what your hungry for.
                Nah, I heard the internet-enabled ones run Windows

Just got the new one ordered this morning--will be delivered tomorrow. That means a day away from my students-darn!

Unfortunately, SWMBO is wise to the "I need a bunch of new tools for this job" dodge, so I have to tell the truth for a while. Besides, I have too many honey-dos already.
                g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I just finished a cabinet job, made the opening for the refrig. std 36", as the customer requested. The spec sht for the new refrig states 35 1/4", but the sides of the refrigerator were bulging to 36". It was a tight fit, I had to move one of the base cabinets. The back width of the refrig measuresd 35 1/4" and so did the front width but, the middle width was bulging to 36". Now I'll be makeing all my refrig. space 40" as the standard. Now a days with energy efficent appliances, they pump in more insulation so the sides bulge out.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

Maybe if you stocked it with all diet food, it would slim down.
                    Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

We got a new Refrigerator a few years ago. We were looking at several different ones, all the same brand. Got all the specs off the website that I needed. Measured the opening several times. Took into account the baseboard, overhang on counter, overhead cupboard, bulge in wall, etc. Determined the overhead cupboard would be real close on several of them. Decided it was a non-factor, since the overhead cupboard would be easy enough to remove.

Finally decided on which one to get, the big day came. The movers measured everything from truck to kitchen. They said Refrigerator would not fit in the space. I figured they meant the overhead cupboard. Nope!!! It turns out the website listed the dimension in Depth X Height X Width. And silly me was thinking in Width X Height X Depth. UGH!!!
                      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...