• Show
Clear All
  • gimpy
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Flagstaff, AZ.
    • BT3100

"New" title for forum

If the BT goes away, are we still going to have our forum here? Will we keep the same name or will it be changed? Just wondering out loud.

Frank
    Frank, "Still the one"
  • SteveJ
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Frank:

I don't in any way speak for the other members, but I think that while the Bt3100 may be the thing which brought everyone together in the first place, it's friendship and a mutual interest in woodworking that keeps us all coming back. I visit this forum several times a day and I don't even use the Bt3100.

Steve

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

at the top of your screen ...

BT3Cental.com
      It's not just about the saw

I personally think the forum has created it's own legacy that goes FAR beyond any tablesaw. While the name was originally conceived due to the BT, I feel this name has taken on it's own meaning and will probably stay here as long as the forum does. I'm not speaking for Sam, nor can I, I'm just conveying my personal opinion on this matter.

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

You'll notice there are quite a few people that admit to being "Darksider".
        Some of our most prolific contributors are Darksiders and may or may not have started with a BT3.
        Then there are also some who don't admit to being Darksiders but still make us proud.
        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Thom2
          at the top of your screen ...

BT3Cental.com
          It's not just about the saw

I personally think the forum has created it's own legacy that goes FAR beyond any tablesaw. While the name was originally conceived due to the BT, I feel this name has taken on it's own meaning and will probably stay here as long as the forum does. I'm not speaking for Sam, nor can I, I'm just conveying my personal opinion on this matter.

I'm with Thom. I've learned a lot more about woodworking in general from this forum than I have about the saw itself.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

I'm with Thom and Bob - its not just about the saw. I even like darksiders. But I like the name because of the heritage.
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• pierhogunn
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

to bob and thom, rerit.
              It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• meika123
                • Dec 2002
                • Advance, NC, USA.
                • BT3000

I just love it when Thom gets in his "Profound" mode.

Dave in NC
                Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Plus the name and spirit of the BT3 keeps all the snobs away! Don't need another woodnet!

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

I think we will prevail.

When I first heard the rumor that our beloved saw might be discontinued I was worried. During the early computer days, around 1980, I bought an early Tandy Color Computer. It had 4k ram and cassette tapes as storage media. I loved my CoCo and spent more money upgrading it than I have on the three new computers in my house.

We were a tight knit group, we had a couple of magazines, a convention in OC, and we chatted on Compuserve with our 300 baud modems. We wrote show-off programs in basic using less than 4k. Try writing a basic program for word-wrap in 4k. When they upgraded to CoCoIII with 512K, I ran my law office with it, word processing and accounting, with a huge bi-directional daisy wheel and one slow disk drive.

My rather rambling point here is... in 1991 Tandy discontinued the CoCo. The magazines stopped coming, nobody hung around the Radio shack to buy the latest version or add-on. I bought PCs and moved on with my life. But, I still miss the CoCo group. I know there are a few die hards out there, but it's not the same.

My son now uses all my old CoCo stuff like we use antique tools. He writes basic and machine language like we use an old wood bench plane to smooth a board, when we have an electric planer. His young friends are astounded by basic, it's like he is writing using hieroglyphics or Latin.

As Thom says "It's not just about the saw." This the site with a heart. I'll keep coming to Sam's House as long as he will have me.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

As far as I'm concerned, we can call it anything, I'll still love this place and the people here.

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Steve,

You should meet a good friend of mine. He also has one that was his father's and still plays around with it. I remember doing math problems on a TRS-80 in 4th grade and my math teacher was considered ahead of the game for using a computer in his class.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Thom2
                          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Stevens, PA, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by meika123
                          I just love it when Thom gets in his "Profound" mode.

Dave in NC
                          "appreciation" is a lot easier when something doesn't happen very often
                          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

Working...