• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Truck toolbox recommendations?

I'm thinking of getting a crossover toolbox for my Dakota. I don't really need to carry tools, but want it for everyday secure storage, groceries, etc. I also intend to install secure bike fork mounts.

Does anyone have opinions on these things? The variety of configurations is somewhat bewildering: low-profile vs high, single lid vs gull wing vs a couple of variations on gull wing. How about black vs white vs shiny aluminum (I think I want black and stainless is too expensive)?

TIA,
    JR
    JR
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I like low profile myself. FYI They are targets for tool theives. By the best built one you can afford and don't put anything it it you are not willing to loose.

Dee Zee and Weatherguard are nice.
    Last edited by Scottydont; 03-31-2006, 05:11 PM.
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I have a Dee Zee diamond plate alum on my ranger .One piece top. I can slip 4x8s under the bottom of the box and they lay on top of theT-gate in the up position. It gives me plenty of extra room for storage. I put two ss eye bolts in the bottom corners of the box that I use for tie downs.Works great for me. Its a well made box.
      Wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

I have a Husky Low Profile that I got when I had the dodge. I like it alot and will be putting it in the Jeep once I get the bed-work done.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Bill in PA
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2005
          • Upper Darby, PA.

I have a black diamond plate Delta Pro with a single lid on my Chevy. I've got 8" - 10" under the box so I can put 8' boards or panels and still close the tailgate. I use the box as a trunk.

A single lid will allow you easier access for long items. I had a gull wing box on my old truck, so I've used both types. If you plan on getting a tonneau cover make sure the handles will be high enough to clear the rolled up cover or get a box with the locks on the sides (my choice). Color is just personal choice.

Mine cost about $450 two years ago but I know you can get one for much less.
          Bill

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Good input guys. I hadn't even thought about getting lumber underneath, but it's a good idea.

I checked out the Huskys available at HD. They're not horrible and priced modestly. I also checked out Pep Boys - kind of junky.

The local truck parts store was closed, so I'll check them tomorrow.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

I have one on my Nissan from Truck Options in Jacksonville FL (I don't know if its locally made or what) but the diamond plate is thicker than any from Pep Boys or other auto supply I saw. Its a single lid with two riser lifts. This is important, every other one I saw had only one - mark of quality. Also check the fit of the lid and there's clearance under it for longer items. See if you have a Truck Options near you and check them out.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

As someone who doesn't wash their truck but maybe once a year I can tell you this as a FACT. The black diamond plate aluminum finish will outlast the chrome finish.
                Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• mikebanks
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • lowell, ma, USA.
                  • 2 BT3000 and 2 Delta 34-400's

challenger tool boxes

I dont have the one you are talking about, but I do have the side truck boxes that mount on the side rail. I paid about $400 for each. The good ones are not cheap. Make sure the locks are good.

The one that said, don't put anything in their that you are not afraid of losing.......Kinda cracks me up.

I mostly use the boxes for sandpaper, Plow parts and oil, straps and bungee cords, and other stuff like that.
                  Maybe...........

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

I have a plastic one from an old used truck, that I kept when the truck died (due to an uninsured motorist). It is an over the rail, gull wing style. It's mostly used for bungee cords, tie downs, and basic mechanics tools. If and when I get a new truck, I will get a below the bedrail, non gullwing style toolbox, and a soft, roll up tonneau cover. It is a pain to remove the other style, and this would be easier to remove for hauling 4x8 sheets. It could also be disquised by the tonneau cover.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

I need to correct myself, I have a flush mount, not a low profile. The length of the bed in the dodge made it stick up a little (sitting on the wheelwell edges) but I could put sheetgoods under it. It's really designed to sit on the bed though.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• frumper64
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Garland, Tx, USA.

I've had a black gullwing box on my last two Nissan trucks - it is made of some kind of plastic that is a lot like the "Tuff Stuff" kids toys are made out of. The stuff is virtually indestructible as far as I can tell. The good news is that it has not sagged at all over the years. The bad news is that a single lid is much more useful than the gullwings.
                        Jim
                        64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• gjat
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                          • BT3100

Over the many years, I, and the crews, have used lot's of type of boxes. We are brutal with them, so really, it depends upon how heavy of use you will use. The plastic ones didn't last long at all and get 'fuzzy' or rough. You definitely want to have it sit on the rails, not the bed so you can put long stuff under. A single door is most convenient. Aluminum diamond plate looks the best years down the road with no maintainance. 2 lifts on lid is important. If you have just 1, they seem to go bad and that is a pain. Standard locks will keep the slow or lazy theives out. No lock is impenetrable. We have added pad-locks to some trucks, but really, 95% of our thefts, we forgot to lock the box.

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

I got the DeeZee

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. Small enough to be unobtrusive, big enough to hold a suitcase. Pretty sturdy construction, with solid locking mechanism. Room underneath for lumber. Haven't figured out where to mount the bike-fork holders yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	779230
                            JR

Comment

Working...