• Show
Clear All
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

Need IT help

Guys,
    Each time I receive an email on Powerpoint format, My computer automatically kicks it into MS Word in an encryted style (dos?). Hence, I can't open them. How can I remedy this situation?

Thanks for any help,

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Do you have PowerPoint installed? If not and you have a PC you could go here and download the Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 Viewer;

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

If you do it could be a bad file association or your version of PowerPoint is not as new as the documents you are trying to look at. A quick way to set an association is to save the document out to your desktop, right click on it, chose open with and then choose program. Now browse to “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11” and choose “POWERPNT.EXE” and make sure the always box s checked.

If your Office folder says OFFICE10 or anything else than install the viewer I pointed to previously.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Do you have high speed internet access? If yes, then download, open office. It will open power point files.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

Do you know how to associate file types to a program? You need to associate the .??? type file for powerpoint, to powerpoint. Right now, it's associated to open with word. Go to Control Panel, choose Folder Options, click on the File Type tab, and reassociate the powerpoint file type with powerpoint.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Another option, rather than trying to open it directly from your mail program, is to save it to disk. Put it on "My documents". Then, open powerpoint and select open file, select the file and see if it opens that way.

Jim

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Hey Dave,

That's why I own a Mac.

Bruce

BTW, how the heck are you, been a long time, no posts
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• meika123
              • Dec 2002
              • Advance, NC, USA.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
              Hey Dave,

That's why I own a Mac.

Bruce

BTW, how the heck are you, been a long time, no posts
              Doing better Bruce. Had some difficult times around here for the past year or so, but everything's coming around now. I've been posting some for the past several weeks, just not like B4. But I';m back and kicking @#% again.
              Thanks for asking. I've really missed you guys.

Dave in NC
              Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• meika123
                • Dec 2002
                • Advance, NC, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by gjat
                Do you know how to associate file types to a program? You need to associate the .??? type file for powerpoint, to powerpoint. Right now, it's associated to open with word. Go to Control Panel, choose Folder Options, click on the File Type tab, and reassociate the powerpoint file type with powerpoint.
                Thanks. Got it. Everythings back to normal again. (BIG SNOOPYDANCE)

Dave in NC

Comment

Working...