• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Gonna give XM a try

got a message from Ebay saying that since I bought I car through ebay recently I could get a free xm radio with a three month agreement. I've been looking for one and need something to listen to in the truck other than wind noise, so I figure I'll give it a try for 6 month and see how it is.

So now I have a Delphi Roady XT or as I will be calling it "Monte" (since I ordered it while thinking about him) on it's way to me. Now I just need to get a working radio in the truck so I can listen (I'll just use a portable radio for now).
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

We bought a brand new Honda Pilot SUV and it came with XM ready radio and we are enjoying the free 3 month trial period. So far so good because we've doing some long drives recently to Southern Illinois. But I don't foresee myself subscribing to it after the trial period ends. We only drive 8 miles round trip everyday from home to work and I normally listen to the local channels to listen to the news. It is great with this free trial, if only it would stay that way forever. That is why I am enjoying it while it last.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

After the free period it should become something like $12 a month - at least that is was Sirius charges. The competition is heating up in this field - Sirius brought Howard Stern and grew up 1.5 times thanks to him. GM and Honda are major investors in XM Radio - no wonder you get it for free for 3 months with GM or Honda vehicles. Half of current XM subscribers are people who got it for free initially with the car and decided to keep. To me - it all makes little sense. I can always listen to news without XM and a portable MP3 player carries as much music that many radio stations can't compete. So, unless you are a Howard Stern or major baseball fan - why pay for satellite.
      Alex V

Comment

• meika123
        • Dec 2002
        • Advance, NC, USA.
        • BT3000

I bought a new Acura last August, and it had the XM radio (one of my requirements on a new car) I signed up for the full show, and absolutely love it. Of course, I like alternative music that you can't find on a std. radio, and I love the two comedy channels.Just call me TWISTED..

Dave in NC
        Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• kramer katt
          Established Member
          • Aug 2004
          • SO CAL, USA
          • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

On www.slickdeals.net and www.fatwallet.com Forums there have been discussions on satellite radio deals. Seems that most new car buyers get an offer to renew at about 1/2 price a little before the free intro expires. Do a search on those forums if you have more interest.
          Does seems to me an expensive luxury unless your in your car a lot especially since they want another subscription to move broadcast to home radio set. But some may think what we all cough up on toys (NO i mean TOOLS) is a luxury.
          kk
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

just to clarify, this unit is portable. I can have it in the car/house/or buy a prtable boom box kind of thing to take it with me. I saw it in a walkman type setup too, but can't find it for sale.

So this ain't just for the car. the reviews I've read say you can set it up in the house and get the feed up to a block away on any FM radio.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

Comment

• meika123
              • Dec 2002
              • Advance, NC, USA.
              • BT3000

I also have it on my computer at home and in my office. Nice background.

Dave in NC
              Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• ndj
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006
                • Lexington, KY
                • BT3K

I switched from XM to Sirius and am pleased with the switch. I do miss Bob Edwards though. I put a component unit in my house for Sirius. The components typically have a digital audio output that really cleans up the broadcast to crystal clear. I find that I rarely listen to CDs any longer. IMHO once you go to satellite radio, it makes it almost impossible to listen to "terrestrial" radio again. I've run speakers into my garage so I'm very happy with it.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Got the Radio last night.

Didn't have time to activate it, but put it in the car to see how it sounded. Hooked it up and tuned in their "demo" station and set the FM setting to a blank frequency.

Turned the car on (my lighters work without the ingition being on) and tuned the radio to the correct frequency. Low and behold, We have music. Sounds pretty good even with the car in the garage.

Next I went in the house and tried our downstairs radio. Yup, pulled in the signal no problem. This weekend I'll have to try a portable radio in the yard, with the car still in the garage.

I'll have to buy a home kit so I can power it without running the car battery down. Although it's only 5v 200mh so maybe the car battery would be fine with it.

edit: I wonder could I make a battery pack for this thing? say 4 d batteries in series. that should get me close to the 5v I need. Where are our EE gurus? Would this work?
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

The four D-cells sounds like a pretty good idea, but my mind is getting bent over trying to set up 200 millihenries.
                    JR

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by JR
                      The four D-cells sounds like a pretty good idea, but my mind is getting bent over trying to set up 200 millihenries.
                      Okay Okay, its early and the radio is 70 miles away and I was looking at the thing WAAAAAY past my bedtime.

200 mA

edit from their website: Receiver: 5 V, 2000 mA maximum current, positive (I could swear the radio says 200, not 2000)

edit again: looks like someone beat me to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/D-size-MYFi-XM-S...QQcmdZViewItem
                      Last edited by Russianwolf; 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

update

LOML has decided that she doesn't like having XM..... It seems that she was up late last night and early this morning singing along with 1970's music.

And this is my fault WHY?!?!?!?
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Maybe fine for thoe who drive a lot. I don't. I don't really listen to radio or watch TV - get all my news on Internet. For long drives, I just plug in my iPod.

Comment

• Otter
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Cumming, GA, USA.
                            • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I live in a 4 XM reciever Family

#1 in my truck cause"commercials @#$**% suck"
                            #2 in wifes CRV (Oprha channel in September)
                            #3 and #4 are part of the whole house audio system

I listen to XM or the iPod in my shop through the system. Wife listens to XM in her sewing room.

Love that XM

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

Working...