• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Mark,

I'm sorry to hear about your forced choice. I concur with the books on tape/disk suggestions. LOML has to drive 35 brutal freeway miles, each way, to the Hollywood Courthouse, where she is a public defender. Books on tape have really changed her attitude about the commute. I buy them up cheap on ebay.

While the financial concerns are of great import, I am afraid, you will miss the extra hour with the little one even more than the gas money.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Kristofor
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by JR
      FWIW - I've done some 40+ mile commutes. They are no fun, but I imagine in your neck of the woods it would go pretty quickly. 40 LA miles is truly not fun.

I drove 4x4 SUVs in the days of my long commutes. If I were doing it today I'd try to have an econo-box dedicated to the task. Everthing about a larger vehicle wears on you at maintenance time - tires, brakes, oil, transfer case, trans cooler, everything just costs more and there's more to break. Not to mention fuel.

My 2c.
      JR
      I've done the commute across the metro area deal in the past (43 miles each way on the 'normal' route through both downtowns) as well. Unless the dollars just can't be made to work, the longer the commute the more I appreciate a big (well, tall) vehicle.

Now, that was driving in rush hour or near rush hour traffic urban traffic, if this was a rural commute without the stop and go bumper to bumper action then the smaller vehicle may have been a better choice.

But, I can clearly see the economics of why a high mileage choice would be desirable.

Kristofor.

Comment

• parnelli
        • Aug 2004
        • bt3100

I vote for the commute as well. Being in a urban area, my commute is only about 20 miles, but takes anywhere from 1hr to 2.5hrs depending on conditions.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in- if the change in work location is dictated by your employer, might he be able to claim the commute costs on taxes? Or would your employer perhaps specify that you start and end your day at the local office but then have to travel for work to the further office therby making it deductable?

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Thank you all for the moral support!

The cost of the drive and the extra time away from home are really the only two things that make this rather unpleasant on the surface.

A good thing is that because of my location it is all highway miles @70MPH!

The bad part of that is because of the topography I will be in essence crossing three passes; one of which is steeper than the main pass that goes over the Cascade Mountians in my state.

The sheer act of driving and long days are no stranger to me as I've logged in excess of 1,000,000 miles driving mostly(99%) in my home state. Plus it could be said that we do have weather in central washington. Winter driving is of small concern to me with my abilities and expierence.

Some of the other things that bother me is I will be stuffed into a small cubicle and be on unfamiliar turf. I am also IMHO quite good at what I do and in a corporate atmosphere that can cause discomfort for supervisors that possibly may not be as good. Hopefully all of these theings will become non-issues in a short period of time.

Currently my desk faces a window out of which is a view of farmland and the majestic Stuart Range. I will miss the view for sure. I will also miss two of the three people I currently work with; one of which has been having me make plenty of furniture lately.

With our current situation vehicle replacement and moving are almost certianly not options and our one (dependable) vehicle is a Yukon (16 mpg average on our recient Montana trip!); purchase used with 3.4 years remaining on the p&s agreement. I really doubt that I will ever trade in a running vehicle for payments again!

Thanks again for the moral support; it means far more than many of you will ever know.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Hey, one more thought. If you have a decent boss and a decent company, and if the work is conducive, then perhaps at some point once they're comfortable with your work you can start telecommuting 2-4+ days per week.

The company I work for has a large number of folks who live 50-200 miles from the office and only come in for major meetings, training, and whatnot. Is that something you could pursue at some point or is there a reason that your physical presence is needed?

Kristofor.

Comment

• RainShadow1

Gas costs

We looked at Hybrids last year (Ford Escape) and almost bought one. Then when they were getting the gradn total the Manager added something like $2000-2,500 to the sticker. I was out of there in less than 1 minute !!!! Also the cost of some of the batteries are VERY expensive for the Hybrids.

Just do your homework. I good used car would be better and the insurance is cheaper.

I drive 70 miles/day to work for the last 12 years and it is killing ME.
              We have gone through a new Jetta and I am now on a 2003 Tacoma with 68,000 plus miles on it. I work hours that are NOT ideal for carpooling -- sometimes I have to leave at 5 am other times I am done by 2:30-3:00 pm.

Good luck and keep us posted, Randy from Oceanside, CA
              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2006, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Stick
                • Sep 2003
                • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                • BT3100

I'm in a slightly different boat. I drive 450 miles one way to work, but it's only 4 trips in 10 weeks. A lot of people do more miles than that just across town. But......I have a different way of looking at the vehicle costs. If I drive a vehicle that is paid for and do my own maintenance, I can put an awful lot of fuel in it for what another vehicle would cost in payments, more expensive maintenance, warranty mandated dealer services, another vehicle to insure, etc. In fact, the last few months, I parked my '90 F150 and have been driving my old grain truck. It's not only far more comfortable to drive albeit a lot noisier, it gets better mileage and is ultimately far cheaper to maintain. Come summer, I'll go back to my old 78 suburban. (too lazy to dig it out of the snowbank right yet) I just couldn't afford the repairs on that POS Ford. Every stupid little thing that went wrong with it entailed a $800 or more bill. AND, it gets REALLY bad mileage! You know it does when I can drive what is basically a converted semi and it gets better mileage.

Comment

• Woodwerker
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2005

Whatever you decide to do, we will keep you in our prayers.
                  Change is always tough, remember persistance wears down resistance.
                  Joe
                  Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• Tom J
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Springfield, IL, USA.

Mark, sorry to hear about the tough choice you face. You will be in my thoughts. Good luck.

Comment

Working...