• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Chicago

Well, here I sit in a Hotel in Chicago. My first time here and it has been interesting to say the least. First the plane was 20 minutes late on landing as we were forced to slow down and circle due to a “Traffic Jam” of planes as described by our pilot. Then I stood at the luggage pickup for 30 minutes as they only had 1 of 5 working and all incoming planes were picking up there luggage at the same time from the same point. As I left the airport I found that I had to wait in this huge line to get a taxi which I don’t think I have ever experienced before. When I finally did get one I was in for the ride of my life! I got some old Russian guy that was on a quest to test his brakes out as he was constantly slamming them to keep from rear ending people! I also found that taxis now charge by time instead of miles as the traffic caused my ride to the hotel to be in excess of $30. The hotel I am staying at is downtown and called the Allegro and at $150 a night for the corporate rate I find it interesting that my room is smaller than my closet in the master bedroom at home. So far the people seem nice though and the buildings are rather pretty or at least what I can see of them this morning from the 7th floor window of the hotel.

Signed Ken in Chicago just waking up and bored.
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

If you have some free time, I'd advise a trip to the museum of science and industry or the Shed aquarium both were very nice. Also a trip to the top of the Sears tower for a quick look around would be nice. Other than those the "best" thing I found in Chicago was the automatic "safe seat covers" in the airport bathrooms

BTW, it's been sometime since I visited Chicago so they may have some new fangled dodad in the airport bathrooms by now

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Chicago, Brrrrr

I once relocated to Chicage for work, in October. I've never been so cold in my entire life.

By Thanksgiving, the temperature was 11 deg. below 0, and people were saying they were having a "mild" winter. They put ropes up on certain streets to keep people from being blown out onto the streets.

I was told that as cold as the winters were, the summers were really hot and humid.

Had a friend who was teaching at the University of Wisconsin, Madison and he came into Chicage to stay with me to "warm up". No way in h**l I'll ever go back.

Bruce

BYW, this is ltrue story.
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• stewchi
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Chattanooga, TN.

Lots of great places in Chicago, I just moved from there. If you like German food (and/or beer) the Berghoff is fantastic. There is also a nice place called the Russian Tea Room for Russian food and of course Vodka.
        I recommend the Palmer House as a great hotel, if your want to transfer, the rooms are big for a major compact city and the lobby is breathtaking. It worth it just to go in and have a look around. We stayed there last year for the St. Patrick’s day parade. All of these I mention are in “The Loop” area and in walking distance if you like to walk, other wise a quick ride on the EL will get you there.
        While on the web check out www.metromix.com it’s a great source on stuff in Chicago. Enjoy you trip. Don’t forget, Magnificent Mile is fun to check out on Michigan Ave north of the river, near the end is the Hancock building, the second tallest in Chicago. On the 51st floor is nice but expensive restaurant with an amazing amazing amazing view. The insider tip is you can get to the bar and have a drink and still get the great view for a lot cheaper. Also check out the Buckingham fountain (From Married with Children) in Grant Park (South of your hotel, toward the lake).
        There are other great neighborhoods with niche shopping depending on what you are into (Bucktown, Lincoln Park, Wrigley Ville etc), Have fun, email me or post back if you have any questions about the city, or need a recomendation.
        Last edited by stewchi; 03-27-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• greencat
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by stewchi
          Lots of great places in Chicago, I just moved from there. If you like German food (and/or beer) the Berghoff is fantastic. .

Sorry to say that the Berghoff was closed about 4 weeks ago.
          Thanks again,
          Mike

Comment

• stewchi
            Established Member
            • Apr 2003
            • Chattanooga, TN.

After a 107 years it closed, I guess they need the land for a high rise. Thats really sad, it was my favorite place in the Loop.

Comment

• Mar 2004
              • Northern NJ, USA.
              • BT3100

yeah, closed.

Heard the news too, although absent a week last year and one several years prior, I haven't been home much for the past ten years. Never made it back to berghoff's before it closed.

there are too many places to see, so focus on the food. A real chicago style stuffed pizza is a must (or deep dish if you must), but it'll take 30-45 minutes to cook, so be ready.

also, gotta get a chicago dog. mmm.mmm.good. all beef dog, lettuce, tomatoes, relish, pickle, finger peppers, ketchup, mustard, celery salt, etc.

go to Mr. Beef's for a chicago beef sandwich.

good bbq too, but a bit different than southern bbq.

try greektown for good greek, if a bit touristy.

and, you can go to wrigleyville to check out the world series champions (well, within past 100 years) chicago cubs park! on the north side, they will not recognize that another baseball exists in the city, let alone won something somwhere. lots of bars around there too, sheffield's has nice outdoor area, which with the weather getting warm (above 32 degrees) might just be getting busy!

well, go out and eat. and see something along the way.

curt j.
              A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

When you leave use the elevated train/subway. I rode on it when visiting my bil and it goes just about anywhere
                Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• RmeDad
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Scottsdale, AZ
                  • BT3100-1

Hope this says it all.....

Left Chicagoland area in 1979 after being born there in 1950. Went to OKC for 10 years, then Phoenix til now.

This should give you a clue.....when people ask me where I'm from, I say Chicago! I MISS IT! Food, fun and friendly people.

Have a great time, all the above posters have "hit it on the head"!
                  Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• Whaler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Sequim, WA, USA.
                    • DW746

I used to hit Chicago twice a year for business meetings. Nice people and great food. Pizza Uno is fantastic, you can stand on the sidewalk for an hour befor you get in. Had frog legs at what I would call a bar, long skinny place. Bar on one side and tables down the other, no idea what the name was but the best I have ever eaten.
                    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Xamu
                      Established Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Chicagoland, USA.

Hi Ken,
                      Until 2˝ years ago I worked downtown. Today I'm on vacation in Florida - go figure

Tuesday is the free (no charge) day for the Art Institute of Chicago if you like the Art scene. Click the link for hours.

If you want the best ribs I have ever tasted - try Miller's Pub at 134 S Wabash Ave. They are so good I can't eat ribs any most restaurants anymore. They pale in comparison.

Chicago's deep dish pizza (sometimes called "stuffed" pizza) is not for everyone - it's an acquired taste and most Chicagoans just have the "regular" kind on most days. It's a bit too much for daily fare. Giordano's is a great alternative to Pizzaria Uno's and there are four of them within walking distance to you. If you get a regular pizza, don't be surprized to see it cut into squares - it seems to be a Chicago thing. Also, unlike the rest of the world the most commonly ordered pizza topping in Chicago is sausage - not pepperoni. Probably because it's better sausage than you're likely to get anywhere else. But the pepperoni is pretty great too.

A very common touristy thing is to go to the skydeck of the Sears tower. It's expensive (too expensive IMHO) and although you will be able to say that you were in what once was the tallest building in the world (now 3rd tallest I think) a better visit is to the top of the John Hancock bulding. Go have an expensive cocktail (aren't they all?) up there like stewchi said and see a better view of Chicago - including a nice view of the Sears Tower.

If you have a taste for hot food - try Heaven on Seven for lunch - 111 N Wabash Ave # 700. They have hundreds of different hot sauces there. It's crowded, noisy and a pretty good lunch.

The original Mr Beef at 666 N Orleans St (as Curt said) is not much to look at (but don't let that deter you) but the food is awesome. Even with Jay Leno calling attention to it on his show it is still one of the worlds best kept secrets.

Have fun! It's a great town with lots to see and do.
                      TTFN,
                      JP
                      Good woodworking comes from experience. Experience comes from bad woodworking.

Comment

• 91FE
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Perfect timing with all of this great info. I'm tagging along on my wife's business trip in June for a long weekend in Chicago. Keep it coming!
                        I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• greencat
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Grand Haven Mi

Do you remember the Saturday Night Live Skit about
                          Cheese Burger
                          Cheese Burger
                          Cheese Burger
                          Chips no Frys
                          Coke no Pepsi

This place is in Chicago. The owner was the one that tried to take a goat into the Chicago Cubs and when refused he put the curse on them. Its a whole in the wall but fun with good burgers. Get a double cheeseburger
                          Thanks again,
                          Mike

Comment

Working...