• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Bought a New Computer

My old iMac was over 4 years old, the CD drive died and it needed $$$ in software upgrades. I couldn't see dumping money into it so today I picked up a new 20" iMac. Wow, am I impressed.
    I still have a bunch of stuff to try and move over from the old one but it's no big deal if I can't.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Congratulations!

Originally posted by Whaler
    My old iMac was over 4 years old, the CD drive died and it needed $$$ in software upgrades. I couldn't see dumping money into it so today I picked up a new 20" iMac. Wow, am I impressed.
    I still have a bunch of stuff to try and move over from the old one but it's no big deal if I can't.
    I've been trying to justify a new iMac or two for a while now....I bet that G5 is sweet!

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Hey Dick and Scott, I am coming back to Seattle the whole first week of April. Depending on my schedule maybe we can meet up for coffee or something.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

With the firewire and maybe with the USB 2.0 you can hook your old computer up to your new one; start up the new one; with cables connected, Start up the old one and quickly press "T" and it will enter the target mode.

From there you can transfer everything from your old computer to the new. The first time, you do this (in some cases) it will ask you if you want to transfer the files, settings, passwords, keychains, mail accounts, bookmarks and other settings to the new computer. If it does not ask you if you want to do this or if you have already said no, then go to (on the new computer): Applications folder>Utilities>Migration Assistant and click on it. It will help you migrate all of the information that you want from the old computer to the new one. VERY Helpful!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Ken
          You are allways welcome here. Just give me a call.

Lee
          I have some glitches in the old system so I will have to do a selective transfer. The main thing I want to save is the pictures I have saved on there. No! I never ran any backups. Learned my lesson.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Personally, I'd just crack both cases, pop the HDD out of the old one and into the new one as the slave drive. No muss, no fuss, takes all of 5 minutes and I can pick and choose at my leisure what I want off the old drive.

But I dunno - are you even allowed to open the case on a Mac? Does that void the warranty or sumthin?
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by crokett
              Personally, I'd just crack both cases, pop the HDD out of the old one and into the new one as the slave drive. No muss, no fuss, takes all of 5 minutes and I can pick and choose at my leisure what I want off the old drive.
              But I dunno - are you even allowed to open the case on a Mac? Does that void the warranty or sumthin?
              DeskTops, you can add in a drive without a problem. Add in Memory and cards OK, too. But you cannot added in a slave drive to an iMac in the way your are talking. You can put the internal drive in an enclosure and hook it up either USB or Firewire. Since the mid '80's Macs have handled drives in a manner that has been much much easier than the plug and play and slave drive concepts. No drivers ever needed, even back then. They just worked.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• russd
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2004
                • SilverSpring, MD, USA.

I'd just use one of those USB flash drives in the old mac, drag the photos to it,then pop it in the new mac.
                Rusty

If I had more room, I'd buy more tools!

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.
                  • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Dick, the important question...what are you gonna do with the old iMac?
                  "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...