X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickd
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
    • Ryobi BT3100

requesting feedback re downloadable furniture plans on my website

hi,

since i put my website on the internet a few weeks ago, i've had several requests about where i got the plans for the mission style furniture i've made. i actually got the plans from a few different places and it made me think it might be nice if i could put them in one location for anyone to access. as these plans are of course copyrighted - i cannot post them as free downloads.

so, instead, i've added a new page to my website that so far contains links to downloadable plans for about a dozen mission style furniture projects all from Better Homes & Gardens. The url for the page is:

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/downloadable_plans.htm

on my site, i've also added a page that displays a lot of books on woodworking and allows anyone to order the books online from various outlets.

to be completely forthright and honest, i do have an 'affiliate ad' status thru these links - that is the only way i could arrange to post them on my website. so, it is possible some sort of commision might come my way - that would be welcome for tools purchases for sure - but, i'm not holding my breath.

i mention this because i did get some grief from a few members at the Woodnet forum for having affiliate ads on my website - including a few personal attacks.

i really respect the bt3 membership and i would appreciate any comments you might have both to my new 'download page' and the question of having affiliate status associated with it. i am going to hold off on any further development(i.e. additional downloads for furniture plans, jigs, tips etc.) until i get a better idea of what peoples feelings are.

maybe, i just shouldn't post messages here or on any other forums re anything about my website? i don't know. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Rick,

You won't get any flack from me on the subject. All you are doing is offering information on questions you are being asked. No one is being forced to go to your web site and order from it. I see no foul, and only a free service.

By the way, great projects. Your pictures look better than the ones in the plans.

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

I have no problems with it. A person can use the links or not as they wish.

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• Brian G
        • Jun 2003
        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
        • G0899

i mention this because i did get some grief from a few members at the Woodnet forum for having affiliate ads on my website - including a few personal attacks.
        Why is having affiliate ads on your website considered an issue? I don't understand.

I like viewing other woodworker's websites, so keep on keeping on.
        Brian

Comment

• rickd
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
          • Ryobi BT3100

hi,

thanks for the replies, they are very much appreciated.

after talking to some other woodworking friends here at home, i think i've come up with a way i can resolve this in the future without the possibility of offending anyone. it just seems that the affiliate ads and the possibility of earning commissions just irks some people to no end - it's never bothered me on any site i visit because i'm just 1 click from leaving! but ........ !!

i would like to keep building on to my website to add things that i think might be of interest and hopefully helpful to other woodworkers. and, when i'm not in the workshop, this keeps me busy, it's fun, and it's always a good way to learn more about woodworking. and, my second favourite hobby happens to be computers and the internet.

but, i agree, there is a fine line between 'sharing' information and 'promoting' one's own interest - in this case, some might feel it's my own website.

so, simple solution - from now on, i just want everyone here to know that i do not intend to announce any changes or additions to my website in bt3 postings or any other forum i might visit(other than the site address in my signature which is standard and fairly common). i don't intend to mention it at all unless i receive a very specific request about it, or a very specific question related to it.

why do i even think this might be a concern or problem? this morning, i posted a message on a canadian woodworking forum similar to the one i posted here about the addition of some new features. a few hours later i was informed by the forum moderator that my post, and replies, had been deleted for violating the forum policy on promoting a "business" - i was welcome, however, to buy advertising space on the forum. so, i have come to the conclusion that whatever i might feel about this - others have a different opinion and i respect that. users on woodnet have also let me know what they think - even including taking 'my mug' off the page and replacing it with some furniture i built - that really hurt!!

so, that's the end for now - i'll just go on about my merry way in anonymity - much happier too!

thanks for your consideration.
          rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

Working...