• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zootroy
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

Quote from KMK:

"It shouldnt be confusing. There are only two choices in laptops. (1) ThinkPads (any series) (2) MacBook

Close your eyes and pick one with wireless and bluetooth. Deal with the credit card company later.

I'd pick MacBook "

I respectfully disagree. There are more than two choices. The poster mentioned that he wants a machine for standard daily use. One can buy such a machine for $600.00. The MacBook is an expensive machine for standard daily use. Deal with the credit card company later and end up as one of the 70% of Americans in hopeless credit card debt living from paycheck to paycheck.

Comment

• Kristofor
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by zootroy
      IMO this is all you need for basic daily use.

1.4 ghz cpu min.
      40 - 80 gig hard drive (saving a lot of mp3s or images, go larger)
      512k ram
      Ah, the good old days. The PC XT I had back in the 80's had 512k of RAM once I added the expansion card

But I would agree with the rest of information above. Laptops aren't a good choice for a gaming rig (the very high-end models targeted at that market are "ok" when they're new, but the life expectancy is low with limited ability to upgrade).

For regular use you can save a *ton* of money by looking in the 6-9Lb. range, and often these models will be somewhat more beefy too.

I also use the onboard video when traveling, in meetings, etc. and at 1400x1050 or 1600x1200 it has a decent amount of screen real estate. However, in the last ~3 years I've become convinced that the best productivity enhancer when working at a fixed location is a dual monitor setup. It is so nice to be able to have multiple spread sheets open and fully visible at once, or email, IM, and a browser for testing running in one window window while you develop in the other using the full screen. Once you get used to that flexibility even the large/widescreen laptop screens will feel constrained.

Kristofor.

Comment

• zootroy
        Established Member
        • Oct 2005
        • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

512K? Yeah, sorry. That would be pretty hard to find. Actually, one should be alright with 256Mb if the primary use is internet, playing dvds, etc.

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Gah, don't get me started on those store workers. Slimy b***ards. When I overhear one bamboozling a customer at a store, I usually just grit my teeth and walk by. I think I stepped in onl once at Staples, when some lady wanted to buy some security software, and the worker was trying to sell her Norton Internet Security (to protect from hackers and spyware), AND Norton Antivirus (to protect from all the viruses). I just had to step up, take the NIS box, turn it over and point to the fact that it already includes NAV. Earned a dirty look from the sales guy.

But in this case, the CC guy is actually correct, As a laptop - that is as a computer you carry around and use 'on your lap' - Portege is a better machine with its low weight and high battery life. Would they sell well if they carried them? Depends on who their primary shopping public is. If a lot of 'road warrior' execs shop there, Porteges would indeed sell like hotcakes. Who cares for an extra grand if you expense it to your corporate account?

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Thbbppppppt!

Originally posted by crokett
            As somebody I know said once: "Why would you want to get a Mac? You raising your kid to be a teacher or somethin'?" Thbbpppt! Back at ya.
            Yeah, being a teacher is a hard life: a 6-hour work day and three months off in the summer, plus every holiday under the sun off. I actually had a salesman say that to me just before I threw him out of the house.

As far as the Mac goes, I prefer to get my work done with the computer rather than work on the computer.

Hey, it's like tools--whatever works for ya.

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...