• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Car paid off and money in my pocket

Well, it's been a long 5 years, lol, but my car is paid off. I received the Paid in full notice from GM Financing yesterday. Yippee.. PLan on driving the car into the ground, so now i get some payment free driving ahead of me.

Funny thing is, I received a second piece of mail from GM. It was a reimbursement check for my final payment. Because the payoff amount wasn't accurate, they reimbursed me my over payment.....

The check was for $0.04. That's right, four cents... So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my check...
  • woodrowB
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Decatur, GA.

You could post your opinion with that! (Twice!!)

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Cost them a lot more to process that check than what it's worth. Use it to buy a sliver of wood at HD.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

Don't spend it all in one place...
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

$0.04 check? Interesting. I guess it was some kind of interest recalculation. Grats on paying out the car - it always feels great to slam that last payment on a long-term debt.

I think I'll have a wild party when I finally pay off my mortgage. That is, if I am still physically capable of throwing wild parties by then.

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Sounds like the story of the guy who kept getting a bill for $0.00. He ignored them until he got a letter threatening a collection service. So he wrote a check for $0.00 and mailed it in. Made things OK with the company but caused his bank's transaction system to fail. messing up his account and everyone else's who had a check processed that day! Don't know if the story's true or not but sounds plausable.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

That reminds me of my retail days. I had one company keep sending me a bill for $.02 and I just threw them away. After the fifth bill with a nasty note, I sent them a letter telling them how much postage that they wasted sending me the notices, and I sent them a $.02 stamp in payment for the invoice. I never heard from them again.
              Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• just4funsies
                • Dec 2005
                • Florida.
                • BT3000

I once got a bill on my Office Depot business card for $0.22 (I had paid it off the previous month, but interest had accrued prior to the payoff). I called them and asked if, rather than sending a check for 22 cents, could I just carry it over and pay it the following month along with any subsequent purchases. Not only was I told "No", but "He11 No", and the rep proceeded to lecture me on what would happen to the world's economic machine if anybody could just ask if they could defer a payment. I was so pissed that I taped 22 pennies to a sheet of paper, and sent it in postage due, along with a note explaining the reason, including the name of the toad to whom I had spoken on the phone. A sincere letter of apology came from OD, along with the notation that the rep in question had been instructed to seek employment elsewhere.
                ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Reminds me of a check I sent in to pay off a CC balance. they screwed up and entered it as .11 less so the next bill came with .11 cents due. The check had cleared at the correct amt but the CC did not acknowlege the discrepancy over the phone. I sent them 11 pennies taped to the payment coupon along with a copy of the cleared check. Next statement arrived with a .11 credit....
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Cingular just sent my wife a check for $.02, with $.39 postage on the envelope.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by BobSch
                      Sounds like the story of the guy who kept getting a bill for $0.00. He ignored them until he got a letter threatening a collection service. So he wrote a check for $0.00 and mailed it in. Made things OK with the company but caused his bank's transaction system to fail. messing up his account and everyone else's who had a check processed that day! Don't know if the story's true or not but sounds plausable.
                      True or not, that's a great story.

Here is one that is definately true. My best friend is a bankruptcy attorney. He represented a client, who amoung other things had a bill from Sprint of <$100. The client advises they never signed up for Sprint Long Distance, and that they had tried to get them to cancel the plan. Yet, each and every month the client got a bill for $5 for "service fee" type activity. After about a year, Sprint "cancelled" their service. Needless to say the Sprint charges were dismissed in the bankruptcy. This of course brought the balance to zero on Sprints system and Sprint re-opens the account and starts billing again! Thats right after being stiffed for $100 from the client, Sprint re-opens the account with a fresh line of credit! LOL! Imagine if the credit card companies had done that to the debit ridden bankruptcy client!

Comment

Working...