Drivers/Driving....things that cheese me off...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErikS
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

Drivers/Driving....things that cheese me off...

Since we were on the topic I thought I'd start a thread with a list of simple driving things that would make the road a better/safer place -

#1 - Put down the frigging phone, pay attention to what you're doing.

#2 - On a four lane road approaching a stop light, left lane is empty could you think of pulling into the left lane so others might go right?

#3 - On an interstate in the left lane, is there a reason you're hitting the brakes because a car on the off ramp is?

#4 - Could you pick a speed? Having to repeatedly pass you over while you go from 60 - 80 gets annoying (read the manual, operate the cruise control)

#5 - Related to #4 - you do realize that while going up hill you will have to press on the gas pedal a bit harder, right?

#6 - Pulling out to pass & then sitting in my blind spot isn't the safest thing to do - could you finish the pass?

#7 - Your kids are strapped into child seats & they do not need constant attention from you. Besides they'll be safer if you watch the road, not wander all over it.

#8 - Apply your makeup @ home, the mirror in the car is for monitoring traffic not for applying the "finishing touches" (also, your hair is fine - no need to check it every 3 seconds)

#9 - Green means go, it doesn't mean "lets sit here & think about proceeding" (it's a short light & other might actually want to get through too)

#10 - The appropriate spacing while driving is 1 car length for every 10mph, @ 0 mph there is no reason to leave 30' between you & the car ahead - could you please pull up so the rest of us can get to the left turn lane?

Just the 1st ten I could think of

EDIT: "Cheeses me off" isn't the best title - more like "it would be so easy to make it better for everyone"
    Last edited by ErikS; 03-07-2006, 03:32 PM.
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

Good list! I agree with every one of them.
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• sacherjj
      Not Your Average Joe
      • Dec 2005
      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
      • BT3100-1

My biggest issues can be rolled into a single statement. During rush hour, we will get there faster if everyone drives curtiously. On the rare times that people "get it", a lane that goes from 2 to 1 before merging with an interstate works great when you just alternate. Trying to get one car length ahead gums up the works for many people. Similar to merging. Let one person in and then go past. When everyone does this, it works great. How about stopping at the line, when the intersection is filling and it might turn red before it moves? Nah, why would we want to do that if we could make sure that no one from the other direction will be able to go during THEIR light.

My GF and I came up with a great idea. You need a little device that you can point at a car and press a button. It logs an "idiot" response to that driver. With a certain number of idiot responses from a certain number of unique people, they need to attend traffic school. So now, instead of getting frustrated, we make a little TV remote using action directed at those cars. It makes you feel better thinking that is it possible.
      Joe Sacher

Comment

• ErikS
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

LOL - yep. In my area sometimes traffic flows best at rush hour because folks leave a bit of space (catapillar effect) & merge properly....

#11 - The technique is called "zipper merge" - learn it, understand it, practice it

#12 - Um....ah....there's 4 miles of traffic in all 3 lanes, you cut off 4 people to get into the left lane why exactly?

#13 - They gave us a 1/2 mile of merge lane for a reason & that reason was not so we could stop beginning of the ramp & try to merge

#14 - You do understand that crossing the solid white lines is illegal, right?

Only issue with the "idiot" remote is that all 12 people who had to maneuver around Dora McClueless going 35 in a 50 in the left lane would "blipped".....tsk, tsk, look at those people
        Last edited by ErikS; 03-07-2006, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Handy Al
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Worthington, OH, USA.
          • BT3100

MY pet peeve is being passed on the right. A couple days ago I was in the middle lane. Right and Left were open. A young person comes up fast on my tail (I was doing 65 MPH) and then swings over to the right lane to pass. A hort distance later I saw them go from the right lane to the far left lane to pass the cars in the right and middle lanes.

I don't think kids are taught the "rules of the road" anymore.
          "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Personally, #1 and #13 are good for some raised cheesing.

I'll add:

#15 - Your car has a neat little device in the form of a lever on the left side of the steering column. Use it.

#16 - At a double left turn intersection, if you choose to use the lane farthest to the left because there are fewer cars waiting, then you'd better drive in that lane for at least a mile after the turn before you even think about merging into the right lane.
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Updated Idot device`

Lets add a laser beam to the device that etches a big "IDOT DRIVER" across the hood and the trunk. Stays for 24 hrs then fades (maybe).
              RuffSawn
              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Popeye
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Woodbine, Ga
                • Grizzly 1023SL

I've been a "professional" ( hate that word) driver for the last 12 years. I'd hate to get started. But...
                One thing I learned from CHP years ago.... 80% of the people admitted to California mental hospitals have "Valid" drivers licenses. Keep that in mind. I'm sure those numbers are close everywhere else.
                Another thing..... being dead right is still DEAD. Driving is a serious business, don't get mad... let it go and be on your way. Pat
                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• MilDoc

Some others of mine:

1. The proper way to turn left is to enter the intersection half way, turn your wheel 90 degrees, and enter the right side of the road, not cutting the wheel 45 degrees and cutting across the left lane first.

2. In a parking lot, if all the cars are on both sides are parked angled toward you, you're going the wrong way!

3. After the light goes green and the car in front of you has pulled out (hopefully without waiting a long time), you do not need to allow 5 car lengths before you pull out. People behind you might like to get thru the light too.

4. Even if there is no traffic, it is not right to drive down the center of the road (even worse, drive more in the left lane).

# 1 & 4 happen in my neighborhood of quiet roads all the time. Missed getting hit at least twice a week by these idiots.

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

The rules of the road in California are, there are none! Thats why I have a big, huge, heavy, gas hog of an SUV! That way when they do something stupid in thier Honda or other similar vechicle, my family and I have a chance. I was a civilian employee for the CHP for over 35 years and the only two accidents I was involved in during my whole life were when I was driving an eforcement vehicle with out of service signs in window. I was rearended at stop light and t-boned by some idiot blowing a redlight. Thank God for the big old Dodges and Ford Crown Vics.

Tom
                    Last edited by TB Roye; 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

#1 beef: Driving below the speed limit in good weather for no reason on a 2 lane road.

#2: What's the rush to wait until the last minute to pull out in front of me from a side street, and then drive really slow? Always wish I had 2-way radio for those much needed little "chats" right about then....

#3: What's with those law abiding citizens who dutifully obey the speed limit, but feel compelled to camp out in the passing lane on an expressway just to make sure no one else exceeds the limit?

#4: Gridlocking an intersection is pretty high on my list of things to "chat" about too.

(thanks for the outlet! I feel better already! )
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Read thru the list and picked up a few grins... so here's my list:

1. Cell Phones - are you really that important?

2. Cell Phones - get a life and save a life, please hang up!

3. Cell Phones - How is it the cops never see these?

4. Turn signals... that's right, they're supposed to be used for signalling your upcoming turn, and NOT used halfway into the turn, by then I've already guessed what you're doing.

5. I know you're looking for a parking space, but did you really need to stop the second you turned off the street (leaving my butt hanging out in the traffic, waiting for you spot a place to park).

6. Parking in a handicap space. The sign says, "HANDICAP" not mentally deficient!

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• glencross
                          Established Member
                          • May 2005
                          • canoe, british columbia, Canada.

road idiots

I'm with you, tbroy!!!

the bigger the better,....let's see if those little japanese, korean etc., puddle jumpers can match my big honkin' AMERICAN car!!!!

we've got the same problems up here too!!

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Handicap parking is one of my pet peeves. In a college town it is violated often, especially at the grocery store and drug stores. Local PD is on speed dial and more than one ticket has been written at my request. My wife's Jeep has handicap plates and I park out on the lot unless she is with me.

Another is passing to slow. If you are going to pass, the get 'er done! If the truck in the center lane is doing 68, don't pass at 69. If I move over to let you go by in the fast lane, DO NOT pull along side and pace me until I have to slow down to avoid hitting the slow vehicle now in front of me. That's a sure way to get a close up view of my hood in your mirror.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• scorrpio
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

http://www.alldumb.com/item/15946/ hehehe

Comment

Working...