• Show
Clear All
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

A Little boy's way of looking at the World

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year old Irish Wolfhound named Belker.

The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very much attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.
    I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker'stransition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I've never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"

The four-year old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.
    Leave the rest to your God!!
    Last edited by gmack5; 02-20-2006, 08:49 PM.
    Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

That's neat Gmack5. Stuff like that makes you think doesn't it. Thanks for the thought.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

That was beautiful, George.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Rob R
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • West, Michigan.

very interesting perspective. thanks for sharing.

rob

Comment

• Handy Al
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Worthington, OH, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks George. We lost our dog after near 14 years in September, That's a wise young man.
          "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Cool story; thanks for sharing!

My three-year old son's gunea pig died about six weeks ago. He keeps asking me if I've bought the batteries to make him work again.
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

Working...