• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Shop made handscrew clamps

After posting an article on BTCentral about using handscrew clamps I got to thinking about what it would take to make your own using the kits available.
    I ordered a couple of 4" handscrew clamps ($4.25 each at Grizzly) and a pair of Shopfox 4" handscrew clamp kits for $2.95 at Grizzly.

So if your wood is free and your labor is worth less than $1.30 they you should build the kits and have that warm glow and self satisfaction.

Well, 2 clamps would take 4 identical jaws. I cut eight and then ended uo cutting another 8 from some Jatoba I had laying around. I ended up having to make three jigs to drill the angles, intersecting holes for the slots and to hold and cut the chamfer on the front. Made several mistakes in dimensioning as I tried to go my own way instead of using the dimensions (that I found from Shopfox on the web, not the Shopfox ones that came with the kits). Drill guides wallowed out and the holes drifted off center. Drilled the wrong side.

instructions that are better than the ones that come with the kits:

Anyway here's the final products - I think mine are better made but I suppose my labor is worth around $0.10 per hour... :
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I tried a kit and found that the hardware supplied wasn't up to the quality of Jorgensen's. Their products are tough to beat.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you can get the Jorgenson handscrew clamp kits here:
      Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

but they do cost a pretty penny. 4" kit cost $9.20
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well done Loring! I do believe you need a raise though... your work is custom :-)
        The distance between the first screw and the opening of the clamp looks rather short, was this by intention or is that the way this size is designed?
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
          Well done Loring! I do believe you need a raise though... your work is custom :-)
          The distance between the first screw and the opening of the clamp looks rather short, was this by intention or is that the way this size is designed?

It's a small clamp.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Well, mine is about 1/8" closer to the tips than the commercially made one but that's not all that far off. Generally the reach, as they call that dimension, is about half the clamp body length so in this case its about 2".
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

I see. I only have one size in the shop and was basing my question on my limited experience with wooden hand clamps. I bought them when they were on sale from rockler some years ago. They are handy, just a few days ago I used them as a large plumber wrench when my slip joint pliers were too small (larger than 2" diameter fitting.)
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Dimensions listed can be confusing. The size of the clamp usually referred to is the overall length of the clamp. The reach, is the useable jaw depth to the first threaded rod. The opening distance, or capacity is how far apart the two jaws can be adjusted. Generally speaking, none of the three measurements or reference to dimensions are uniformly related.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Very nifty clamps.

But I still think you guys have way too much time on your hands.

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...