Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Menards: 11% Rebate on Everything

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    bloomington, IN
    Posts
    188

    Menards: 11% Rebate on Everything

    And this includes sale items.

    And if you've bought anything there is the last 14 days, you can probably still get the rebate. They gave it to me on the Hitachi jigsaw.

    Not quite as nice as a 50 buck bandsaw but you are a lot more likely to get it

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sylvania, OH, USA.
    Posts
    1,335
    Is this like their regular rebates--not cash but merchandise credit for the store? No big deal, there is plenty there to use it on, just making sure.
    Joe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    bloomington, IN
    Posts
    188

    Probably in store credit

    That way they get to keep the money in their system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,328
    One nice thing about the merch credit vs cash rebate is that it discounts the value of your future purchase for sales tax purposes. The downside of course is that you're locked into the store you can use it at.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofor View Post
    One nice thing about the merch credit vs cash rebate is that it discounts the value of your future purchase for sales tax purposes.
    Not really because you have already paid the sales tax on the amount of the rebate when you made the first purchase to get the rebate in the first place. They advertise a product for a regular price of $50 but you can buy it for $40 "after rebate". When you buy that product you actually paid $50 at the time of purchase and were charged tax on that $50 not the so called sale price of $40. To charge you tax when you redeem the rebate coupon would be the same as taxing you twice on that same $10.

    I like Menards and shop there quite regularily but I'm not a fan of their % rebate sales. I see those sales as nothing more than a chance for them to use our money for 6 weeks without paying us any interest. I say that because I have seen many times where they will offer the same products on a regular sale for prices that are less than what the % off price will be "after rebate". Not such a big deal when buying small items but on expensive items the Tax Man makes out much better on the Menards % sales than he does on their normal type sales.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Katy, TX, USA.
    Posts
    16,997
    Quote Originally Posted by sweensdv View Post
    Not really because you have already paid the sales tax on the amount of the rebate when you made the first purchase to get the rebate in the first place. They advertise a product for a regular price of $50 but you can buy it for $40 "after rebate". When you buy that product you actually paid $50 at the time of purchase and were charged tax on that $50 not the so called sale price of $40. To charge you tax when you redeem the rebate coupon would be the same as taxing you twice on that same $10.

    ...
    I think you're both saying the same thing.

    a $10 merch credit saves you tax on the next $10 purchase.
    A $10 cash rebate you have to pay tax on the next $10 purchase.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    PM me (with your e-mail address) for a copy of the BT3 FAQ current vers 4.13

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LCHIEN View Post
    I think you're both saying the same thing.
    After going back and very slowly rereading Kristofor's response, I agree, we were basically saying the same thing. I blame stuff like that on Evelyn Wood.

  8. #8
    Even with an 11% rebate, I still try to avoid Menards. Nearly everything I've bought there has broken or been of lower quality. The exception of course is nationally branded items such as Titebond. I have bought woodscrews that were so inferior, I twisted them off by hand, which should never happen with a 2" #8 woodscrew going into pine. I've bought casters that snapped as soon as I put any weight on them. I bought a Mastercraft TS blade once to see how it was--even new out of the box, it didn't cut as well as the old B&D I had on the saw at the time (yes, I know, but sometimes budgets dictate). I used think that their lumber was better than some of the other big boxes, but after buying some 3/4" birch plywood recently and seeing the number of voids after making the first cut, I'm really begining to rethink that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    bloomington, IN
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor55330 View Post
    Even with an 11% rebate, I still try to avoid Menards. Nearly everything I've bought there has broken or been of lower quality. The exception of course is nationally branded items such as Titebond. I have bought woodscrews that were so inferior, I twisted them off by hand, which should never happen with a 2" #8 woodscrew going into pine. I've bought casters that snapped as soon as I put any weight on them. I bought a Mastercraft TS blade once to see how it was--even new out of the box, it didn't cut as well as the old B&D I had on the saw at the time (yes, I know, but sometimes budgets dictate). I used think that their lumber was better than some of the other big boxes, but after buying some 3/4" birch plywood recently and seeing the number of voids after making the first cut, I'm really begining to rethink that.
    I would never advocate buying anything - except maybe beer - without checking to make sure it did what I wanted/needed well, and also at the least possible price. F'r instance, I would not buy a "Tool Ship" anything. But if I needed a national type brand, I was sure it was the quality I expected, and Menards had it on sale... I don't mind getting an extra 11% off.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,818
    I just bought a ton of plumbing stuff from Menards this weekend with the 11% rebate. As with everything, it's all about what you're looking to do. If you shop at Menards looking for fine WWing tools and hardware, you're a fool. If you go to Menards to buy anything else you buy at places, it's fine. I agree that tool shop tools are terrible, but that's so little a part of their business, I don't see not going for that reason alone.

    I bought all of the plumbing stuff for my brother's house. Since we're re-doing everything, it was a big order. $900+, so my brother will be getting another $100 in Menards credit. Sure, it's store credit only, but we get a lot from there.

    And their Tool Shop hand tools aren't that bad either. I bought a 8" lineman's pliers for $2, and a prybar for the same. They also had a hammer with a $3 rebate. So, with the individual rebate and the 11% off it's net about $1. Even the cheap hammers work just fine, and it's a extra one for around the house.

    I've also found great deals on other tools. Before I found about CPO, I bought several Bosch tools from there. I also like the Irwin drill/ driver bits they have versus the brand Lowes or HD carries. They have a good range of Stanely tool carriers and parts sorters. Also, they have the ToughBuilt tool bags and tool belts. I just bought their contractor's toolbelt set for $50. I'm impressed with the quality. They also have a better selection of PEX plubming fittings.

    I'd never buy paint from them, unless it's Zinser primer. But again, like any store, you have to know what products you get from them. Tool Shop and Paint are pretty much it. But if you need just about anything else, you gotta love Menards.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •