• Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Poplar vs Red Oak

Which is stronger
    Which is more stable ( resists swelling when it gets damp / wet) than the other one
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by pierhogunn
    Which is stronger
    Which is more stable ( resists swelling when it gets damp / wet) than the other one

Each of them have their advantages and disadvantages, but IMO, Red Oak is stronger. To pick one for their resistance to moisture would depend on their application. I can't think of a situation where I had to make that consideration. I also can't think of a consideration where one would be used or the other for the same project.

Poplar is a stable wood used quite a bit for fabricating furniture structures for upholstered pieces. It's fairly inexpensive.

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

Neither are very good for wet/damp conditions. Neither would normally be used outdoors unpainted.

White Oak has some good qualities for wet conditions, but requires an appropriate finish to avoid discoloration.

Describe the actual project you are considering and we can provide better feedback.
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• pierhogunn
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I am using 3/4" dowels for the joints in some aluminum flag poles, and this weekend I discovered an issue with moisture and the joints in my prototypes, the poplar swells inside the aluminum tube and becomes very difficult to remove
        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by pierhogunn
          I am using 3/4" dowels for the joints in some aluminum flag poles, and this weekend I discovered an issue with moisture and the joints in my prototypes, the poplar swells inside the aluminum tube and becomes very difficult to remove

Why not use a plastic type dowel like this?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Another option would be a smaller diameter aluminum tube.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I consider the standout property of red oak is that it has a very open grain, so open you can see through a thin slice crosscut... like maybe 1/16th inch which would be more or less completely opaque with other woods. Wikipedia says this about the open grain:
              "Red oak wood grain is so open that smoke can be blown through it from end-grain to end-grain on a flatsawn board"

while its an attractive hardwood, any application where you might want to block water or air with the wood should take this into account.

Poplar OTOH is also a easy to work hardwood, but its appearance is so-so and its hard to finish. Which explains why its much cheaper than other hardwoods. Poplar is suited for projects where nicer wood is called for but which will be painted.

I would imagine Red oak would soak up water like crazy if the end grain was left exposed... would probably cause the whole wood to swell, but i'm not sure about that.

Ha, here's another comment seen on the web:
              Question: How many root beer barrels could you make from a red oak tree? Answer: None - red oak has big pores, so all the root beer would leak out.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2008, 01:14 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rja
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Be careful of red oak/iron contact. The tannin in the oak contains tannic acid which will rapidly corrode the iron and stain the oak black.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

if the red oak is so open, could I force some poly or some thinned out epoxy into it to stabilize it? ( I have a hand operated vacuum and could build something to draw the epoxy up through the dowel like it was a straw

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

Working...