• Show
Clear All
  • PartTimeHack
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

3000 vs 3100

I'm a relative newb to woodworking, but I am ready to get started. I inherited my Dad's Ryobi BT3000 several years ago. I doubt he used it much, and it sat around a relative's barn for a while before I was able to secure it. It has remained mostly dormant in my garage since. I have used it sparingly, mostly because I didn't have room. I am trying to set it up now and I'm looking for advice. ( I guess I should put the above in my bio seeing that it is empty)

The saw itself did not make it to my door with a blade guard assy. In looking for some online, I see assy's for both the BT3000 and BT3100. My question is, does anyone know if it would work for both saws?

Thanks.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm pretty sure the blade guard assy for both saw versions are fully interchagable.
    You might ask me (see the sig line at the bottom) for the BT3 FAQ

Make sure you lube your vertical guide holder shims on your BT3000!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Stytooner, a Mod here, owner of Sharkguard, and all around great guy would be able to answer your question on interchangeability between the two models when it comes to guards. I highly recommend you visit his site and buy his aftermarket system, easy on, easy off a great safety enhancement.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

They are both identical as far as fit and function. There have been tinted versions and clear versions. Some of the Craftsman variety will fit as well.
        Lee

Comment

• PartTimeHack
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2015
          • TN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks

Thanks all for the quick replies.

The information was very helpful.

How many of you guys use the accessory miter extrusions instead or in addition to the sliding miter table assy?

Are they worth the investment?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i use the SMT, that was one of the original selling points to me.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by lchien
              i use the smt, that was one of the original selling points to me.
              +1
              :d:d

©

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I use the SMT but I also have a miter track installed in addition. They serve different purpose - SMT is good for hardwood crosscuts. It only has about 14" from the SMT fence to the blade, so it will not allow you to cut larger pieces, like plywood. For cutting sheet goods I use crosscutting sled and that is where a miter track comes into play. With the crosscutting sled you can cut 24" or so. If you are making a kitchen cabinet (typical depth 22") SMT is no help.
                You don't have to use the Ryobi accessory as miter track. You can buy a generic miter track and mount it with some hardwood. I actually have both - I have a ryobi accessory on the left of the blade (same side where SMT is). And I have a hardwood insert with miter track on the right of the blade. Best crosscutting sleds actually have miter guides on both sides of the blade for accuracy.
                Alex V

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Most of the time, I use the SMT but I do have the miter slot and on occasion use my Woodhaven miter gauge. There are times when I have mine set up without the SMT but need a quick miter. In that case, I use the Woodhaven miter gauge on the miter slot track. Sure in convenient not to have to put the SMT on for a single cut.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

I have a spare blade guard that is sitting around gathering dust. I think its from a bt3100 as thats what I own but I have caniballized a number of 3000s over the years so who knows.

If you would like it PM me and we can figure out how to get it to you.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• PartTimeHack
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2015
                      • TN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Hmm..

I reckon I should have been more patient.

I ordered a blade guard assy online this afternoon. Keep me in mind for any future BT3000 parts you might have sitting around though.

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

I do have a box of parts as most other BT folks here will. If there is something you need its always good to ask the group first as there may be a spare just sitting around waiting for a new home.

I still have another 3100 I saw going cheap on CL a few years back which I bought primarily as a backup for the motor. It was way cheaper than trying to buy a motor as a spare and the other odds and ends came in good use too.

Originally posted by PartTimeHack
                        I reckon I should have been more patient.

I ordered a blade guard assy online this afternoon. Keep me in mind for any future BT3000 parts you might have sitting around though.
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• randombetrayal
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2015
                          • Greater Lansing Michigan
                          • bt 3000

I too am a newcomer to the world of woodworking and have been reading quite a bit here on this saw. My father in law is going to give me his 3000, after next time he has a chance to come down.

I was playing with it many moons ago and it will need a shim job as soon as I get it. The SMT table also seemed like it had a lot of side to side slop. Is this something the eccentric screws can take out?

I was wondering if anyone had a miter fence they were looking to part out. He has long ago lost it as he rarely has used the saw.

Thanks for great site with more info on this saw then I could imagine.

Random

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by randombetrayal
                            I too am a newcomer to the world of woodworking and have been reading quite a bit here on this saw. My father in law is going to give me his 3000, after next time he has a chance to come down.
                            Welcome Randombetrayal!

I was playing with it many moons ago and it will need a shim job as soon as I get it. The SMT table also seemed like it had a lot of side to side slop. Is this something the eccentric screws can take out?
                            You might be able to take up the slop with the eccentrics unless parts are broken or if it is one of the few that was produced wrong. Hank Lee bought one that was made wrong.

I was wondering if anyone had a miter fence they were looking to part out. He has long ago lost it as he rarely has used the saw.

Thanks for great site with more info on this saw then I could imagine.

Random
                            I don't have a source however keep a watch on the forum classifieds. Folks part out saws often enough.

©

Comment

• randombetrayal
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Feb 2015
                              • Greater Lansing Michigan
                              • bt 3000

I will keep an eye out in the classifieds for sure, I have been watching some ebay auctions, but it seems they want the price of an entire saw for just various parts from what I the few auctions that I have seen.

I have bookmarked many of the articles on the shim repair/replacement and SMT fence adjustments so once I get the saw, I am sure I will have a few weeks of reworking it and getting it set up I am sure.

Thanks

Comment

Working...