This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suntzu212

SMT and workpiece slippage

I just picked up my BT3100 about a month ago and I'm looking for some advice on the SMT. When cutting smaller pieces, the workpiece will sometimes slip (especially when the blade is at an angle). I've heard that some folks have attached sandpaper to the SMT fence to reduce the slippage. How should I go about attaching the sandpaper? Also, do you folks have any other advice on how I can cut down on the slipping?
  • sunset
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Lake Huron shoreline

You'll probably notice a big difference after installing 220 sandpaper. I wasn't sure what it would take to secure it on the mitre fence but I tried yellow glue and it did the job to my satisfaction. If there's a better adhesive maybe someone could fill us in?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you could use a sprayon adhesive used for coating large areas evenly, spray the paper.

Another solution can be used in combination or separately, the Ryobi miter clamp that normally comes as part of the accessory kit. Its described in the BT3 FAQ (link in first post under getting started).
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

Use the miter clamp (only thing in the accessorie kit that was useful). I can see where the sandpaper would be useful for the smaller pieces.
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

I think this problem exists on any miter accessory on any table saw. In my case I don’t use the sandpaper maybe because I am lazy and have never put it on or it may be too much of a pain for me to mess with on my JessEm Mite-R-Excel. What I did on the BT and on my new setup is to start using the miter stops. I would say that most of the miter cuts I make are repeated. In other words I am generally making more than one piece the same length. I just got it the habit of measuring from the blade to the stop and locking it down. Takes care of the slippage and also makes for a much more repeatable cut. The only time I would use a hold down clamp is if the piece exceeded in length the stops limits.

Anyhow, that’s how I do it.

Ken

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My Osborne EB-3 came with a piece of self adhering non-slip traction strip. It's very much like sandpaper and is sold at homecenters.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

One thing about the miter clamp, you don't have to clamp too hard. If you are in the wrong place, it can actually pull your angle out of alignment.

Sandpaper should help greatly, and I agree that this issue holds for many miter accessories with fences, unless there is a stop on the fence.

You can also look at the Klingspor self adhesive sand paper used for the scary sharp system, easy enough to slap one of those onto your SMT fence.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• suntzu212

Thanks all for the advice. I got pretty good results by attaching sandpaper using spray adhesive. I don't own the clamp, but after this problem I see how it would be useful.

Comment

Working...