• Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Yes to both!

Bruce,
    Short answers to your questions:
    Are you obsessed? - Yes.
    Is 0.001" out of allignment OK? - Yes.
    The variance that Lonnie calculates is in the proximity of 0.01" for any type of blade except "Hollow ground planer". That is 10 times more than you have. If you have and use a "hollow ground planer" blade - than you can worry. Hollow ground planer is a blade that has the kerf same thickness as plate. Those blades more often than not have no carbide teeth, steel only.
    Alex V

Comment

• Wood_workur
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Ohio
      • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
      Hey Alex,

NO!!

But could explain the "Kansas" bit.

Bruce
      Kansas never gets any attention, so I figured I would give it some.

Actually, I havn't the slightest clue as to why I said Kansas.
      Alex

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
        Most wood will move that much over a period of time.....I wouldn't worry about it at all.
        Understand that I am 100% with you on this and do not own a caliper dial. I set fence, blades etc with straight edge, miter slot (once aligned), etc.

However, a lot of folks contend that arguement can set you up for failure due to the cumlative effect of " a little bit here, a little bit there".

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Bruce

Lets get real here. The series of steps for "alignment" are about all you can do without changing the curvature of the Earth.

First, with the saw unplugged, run the blade all the way up. Next, mark a tooth and roll it to the front near the table. Measure the distance to the edge of the slot or a line built into the table that runs from the front of the saw to the rear. Next, roll the sawblade to the rear of the table and measure to the same place. If there is a discrepency of any sort, you'll have to adjust the table to the blade, or the arbor to the table, whichever ability the brand of saw allows you.

Once that is completed, while the blade is still in it's up position, measure the same tooth at the front to the locked down fence, and at the rear of the fence with the same tooth. That measurement should be the same. If it isn't, adjust the fence so that it is.

After this is all done, you can perform this all over again with a different tooth that is 180 deg from the one you first used. If it is out, you have runout.

Don't totally disregard the option of changing the curvature of the Earth.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

Working...