• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Oshlun 10" 60T ATB Crosscut Blade

A few weeks back I needed a replacement blade for my CMS and got lots of great recommendations from the folks here at BT3. I wanted something that was a good value and originally was considering the Porter Cable Razor. Brian at Holbren informed me (us) that he is now carrying Oshlun blades (I think Oshlun is the old Avenger crew back on the road) and that there is a 60T blade that might fit my needs at a reasonable price.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...cat=673&page=1

I decided to try this blade, I also tried the PC as I had an immediate need and could get it at HD and take it back later if I didn’t like it.

Although I was originally looking for a good value blade for my CMS I tried this blade in both my CMS and BT3100. Firstly by comparison to the standard 40T blade, the Oshlun (and PC) were great improvements as crosscutting blades. My 40T blade does need a good clean but I think it is sharp.

I experimented with various grades of ply, some laminated chipboard, Poplar and Red oak.

I didn’t do any major ripping as its not what this blade is for, however, anything cut with the grain cuts very clean on all sides. The overall cross cut is silky smooth. The top edge is very clean. The bottom edge does have some slight tearout as did the trailing edge on the TS (possibly a little more). I did have a ZCTP installed but if used in the TS a backing board would help. When I put it in my CMS I had similar results re: smooth cut and top edge. The trailing edge was near totally clean but I guess this is more to do with the cutting angle and motion of the CMS when compared to the TS. The underside had more tearout but I had the standard wide clearance slot installed. I cut a clean ZCTP for this blade on the CMS and the tearout improved dramatically but did not go away completely.

Overall this was a major improvement crosscutting when compared to the standard BT3100 combo blade. I don’t have any experience with any of the expensive and fancy Freuds or WW blades but this blade really does offer good value for money.

As I mentioned I did have a use for my CMS the weekend before I received the Oshlun blade so I did buy a Porter Cable Razor to try, it’s a 50T variable tooth blade. Results were comparable but I think the Oshlun had less tearout than the PC. Both the Oshlun and PC are supposed to be 1/8" kerf. The PC measured slightly under and the Oshlun was slightly over. Not sure if a TK blade helps much on crosscuts and I don't think it matters much on the CMS.

The Oshlun Blade will stay installed on my CMS and the PC blade will go back to HD. If I get into using some expensive HW ply I might need to consider a higher tooth count to get the best cut on the lower side when in the TS.

I will admit this was NOT a huge science project but overall I think the 60T Oshlun is great value and other than some minor tearout produces a great quality cut.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
Working...