Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Sears 22114 Hybrid Saw

Sears 22114 First Impressions.

1.Packaging-Surrounded by a steel cage for shipment.
    a.No dents but several smudges on cabinet could not be removed.
    b.All parts were included-one bolt left over.
    2.Assembly (accomplished alone)
    a.Instructions were good.
    b.One instruction referenced a figure number that did not exist but did not cause a problem.
    c.I thought cast iron wings would be tough to install, but turned out to install easily and lined right up with the holes drilled in the table top. (There had been others who said they had to enlarge holes in the wings to mate up with the table. I pre-measured the holes in the table and wings, exactly the same.
    d.Leveling the wings to the table top went smoothly.
    e.Attaching rear fence support bars went smoothly.
    f.Attaching the front fence/guide bar was easy but leveling and aligning took some time. These bars meet at the center of the saw and there is a slight difference in the height of each bar on the top where they meet (but not on the bottom). This causes a little “bump” when the fence goes over it but has no operational impact. Fit and finish issue.
    g.Fence was not aligned front to back, took a little adjustment to level it.
    i.Fence was square out of the box.
    ii.The fence was very difficult to move and the micro-adjuster would not move the fence at all. After tinkering with it for about 20 minutes, I decided to read the manual for fence alignment. No problems with alignment. Waxed the front and rear fence support and the fence moved smoothly. I was amazed how the wax corrected this issue. The micro adjuster worked but its design prevents it from being useful. I doubt I will ever use it.
    h.Miter gauge was fully assembled except for the extended aluminum fence. The miter gauge has slop, left to right with no adjustment possible. (Already ordered the Incra V-27 before I got the saw). I like the extended fence as it has T-slots for attaching various jigs, stops, etc. Hope it fits the V-27. Miter gauge does have a quick release hold-down that worked OK.
    i.Blade guard and splitter install went easily and seems to be a good design. I couldn’t square the splitter to the table, discovered it was bent. It’s going back.
    j.Motor belt install was a snap.
    3.Fit and finish is good with minor exception. There were 3 or 4 small areas on the cabinet where it appeared grease was smudged onto the surface. I think some of the cardboard then abraded these areas and the grease cannot be completely removed. It appears like it is actually pressed into the cabinet surface. Except for this I would have said the fit and finish was very good. Not worth taking the saw back for this issue. I’m sure I will do more damage than that.
    4.Table and wings appear to be dead flat (checked with straight edge, will check with dial gauge this week). The surface of the table and wings is nearly a mirror finish. I can see no machining marks or swirls and it was free of any stains or surface corrosion.

Overall I am very satisfied with the saw and believe it will exceed my needs and expectations. It passed the nickel test on start up and shut down. On a final note, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to pick up the saw at my local Sears (I ordered on line). I was in and out of the store with the saw in the truck in 8 minutes flat.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
Working...