Johnson's Paste Wax Original Formula isn't Original Formula ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phrog
    replied
    Originally posted by All Thumbs
    I'm guessing that the formula has changed in order to reduce production costs (wax being a petroleum-based product).
    Surely, you don't think a company would screw up a product just to make more money.

Leave a comment:

• phrog
    replied
    Originally posted by sweensdv
    Thanks, sweensdv. I'll have to give it a try when my current can of J.P.Wax runs out.

Leave a comment:

• All Thumbs
    replied
    I'm guessing that the formula has changed in order to reduce production costs (wax being a petroleum-based product).

Leave a comment:

• sweensdv
    replied
    Originally posted by phrog
    Hey Erik, are you saying that Minwax makes a wax like Johnson's Paste? I haven't noticed it before.
    They sure do,
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-1-...x#.UgJGWiso7ns

Leave a comment:

• phrog
    replied
    Originally posted by pelligrini
    I haven't bought a can of Minwax in a while. It is the same consistency and performance as my Johnson's.
    Hey Erik, are you saying that Minwax makes a wax like Johnson's Paste? I haven't noticed it before.

Leave a comment:

• phrog
    replied
    Anybody in Canada have this problem? Maybe, as Lee noted, it is a US EPA thing. Maybe you guys in Canada can start a smuggling business.

Leave a comment:

• pelligrini
    replied
    I haven't bought a can of Minwax in a while. It is the same consistency and performance as my Johnson's.

Leave a comment:

• Lonnie in Orlando
    replied
    A follow up to my green/squishy Johnson's Wax question ...

I send an email to SC Johnsons Consumer Relationship Center about the squishy consistency and putrid color of "The Original Formula" Johnson's Paste Wax.

> I received the same rhetoric that members of other forums had received.
    "While the dye was removed from SC JohnsonŽ Paste Wax in October, 2009, we would expect it to provide the same great results you've come to know over these past 60 years (thank you!)."

> So just to stir the pot I replied,
    "Not necessarily saying "pants on fire", but it's difficult for me to understand how removing the dye from the product would cause the consistency to change from firm (which allowed a waxing cloth to pick up the correct amount of wax to apply a uniform amount on a project) to soft and squishy (which gobs onto a waxing cloth and sloshes around on the project.) Doesn't seem like those changes would allow the term "Original Formula" to be truthfully used on the container. Won't even discuss the putrid color."

> Sticking to their guns, their reply did not waiver ...
    "The consistency of JohnsonŽ Paste Wax should be "soft & squishy" although if a can was not sealed tightly or left open for some time, it would start to dry out. The removal of the dye is the only formula change it had and you are right about the color. It used to be a golden or orangey/brown but then we removed the dye -- it's more of a light brown or gray/green color now.

For awareness, the shelf like of a can of Paste Wax is 2 -3 years and our products folks tell me the can marked A292CU was produced in 2006."

Doggone - Looks like every can of Johnson's wax that I have bought for almost 60 years was out-of-date and had lost its squishyness.

- Lonnie

Leave a comment:

• parnelli
    replied
    This thread from a couple years back on another forum discusses changes.

SC Johnson says no change but color, but the discussion then centers around the MSDS no longer listing caranuba wax as an ingredient

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...x-color-change.

Leave a comment:

• thestinker
    replied
    Dang. This is what I use on my hardwood floors. I hope it still works the same.

Leave a comment:

• Stytooner
    replied
    The last can I bought was tan, brown color, but I did see an open can in a store that had a green hue.
    It is probably as close to the original formula as they can make it now with EPA. They may have simply banned the original dye color and now the closest thing is the green. Just a WAG.

Leave a comment:

• Black wallnut
    replied
    Maybe they are just going green?!

Leave a comment:

• gsmittle
    replied
    Originally posted by pushrod
    I just bought a new can last week and noticed the same thing.

Maybe they no longer use 'High Fructose Corn Syrup'.

Cans from Mexico use cane sugar.

g.

Leave a comment:

• pushrod
    replied
    I just bought a new can last week and noticed the same thing.

Maybe they no longer use 'High Fructose Corn Syrup'.

Leave a comment:

• sweensdv
    replied
    I think that I would return it or at least check out the color of a few other tins. Unless the color is just a cosmetic feature with no actual value it would be a stretch to say it's made to the original formula.

Leave a comment:

Working...