• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

improved ivac switch set up

i always wanted the ability to automatically activate any dust collection/shop vac when the power tool to which it was attached was activated. never being a fan of remote controls (just adds another step to the operation), that led me to the sears autoswitch and, eventually for the abitilty to separate the electrical circuit powering the dust collection tools from the power tool, to the ivac switch. it originally looked like this:

the autoswitch had nothing to do with the ivac switch in this configuration, and the DC was the only slave tool activated by a power tool.

fast forward to a few days ago and, after a discussion with the creator of the ivac switch, i now have a second ivac switch which daisy chains with the first. this provides for the shop vac, DC and activating power tool to all be on different circuits and the shop vac and DC are activated automatically when the primary power tool tool is activated. i added another 20A circuit (that's the new electrical box in the second pic) for the DC, so now the activating power tools are on their own 20A circuit, the DC is on a separate 20A circut and the shop vac is on it's own 15A circuit.

comes it handy on the RAS, router table and my ridgid 2412, which has both a 2.5 and 4" connectors in the dust collection tray under the saw. i'm also now seriously considering something to facilitate above table dust collection for the table saws. it would have to be adjustable, easy to use, serve both table saws and inexpensive.

here is a brief video of the new set up. listen for the DC and the shop vac when the RAS is activated (that RAS causes most of whatever light dimming there is, as those old emerson electric motors were fairly powerful). greatly improved the dust collection on the RAS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPM7s...1tclKnwXe4IlLW

the switched outlet box in both pics is a remnant from the original configuration that i opted to retain. it provides manual activation of the shop vac for maintenance purposes (yea, i could have used the 3 way switch on the ivac, but it's small and i've gotten used to the singlepole switch shop vac activation for clean up purposes).

while i'm sure there are less expensive solutons out there, and someone has a $1.98 christmas lights remote control that activates a 10 hp 3 phase dust collector, this set up works well for around $90 retail. it effectively spreads the electrical draws over 3 circuits maximizing the use of the 30A shop sub panel.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
Working...