X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJFrank
    replied
    How about this one from grizzly
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0555X

has 1.5 hp motor, cast iron wheels, resaw fence, 688 delivered, upgrade from standard G055
    Last edited by NJFrank; 02-10-2007, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lrr
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian G
    I have the G0555, and I'm quite happy with it.

If you're heart is on the Powermatic, you should take a drive to the Loveland Woodcraft store. There is a sale on now where you get the bandsaw ($899 - $100 mail in rebate), a FREE riser block, and a cool toy truck.

Link to the deal
    I actually have visited that store -- pretty near where I work. The only problem is that Woodcraft (and others like Rockler) charge you the freight anyway for in-store items like saws, and then you have to pay tax. Makes Amazon look great for the Powermatic.

With all the Grizzly talk, I am actually thinking about going for one of theirs, and kind of have my eye on the G0457 14" Deluxe, or even one of the 17" models.

Decisions, decisions ...

Leave a comment:

• drumpriest
    replied
    I have the craftsman 22401 and like it a lot. If I were to do it again, I would consider a 16" or 18" saw. I'm doing a lot more resawing than I thought I would, and the extra power of a bigger saw would be good.

Many people here have enjoyed the Griz ultimate, so I'm sure it's a good choice as well. I've used the 14" delta and Jet, and I think my craftsman is a much better value. I havn't played with the powermatic, but I've been impressed in general with their tools.

The craftsman has no riser block option, as it's a euro style saw. It does resaw 8" though, and I've done it, so I can tell you that the saw will perform.

Leave a comment:

• Brian G
    replied
    Originally posted by lrr
    Folks -- thanks for all the suggestions! I was amazed to see the number of responses. I have been getting Grizzly catalogs for years, but never bought a major tool -- mostly smaller items. I am glad to hear the favorable reviews! And the thought of finding an older Delta or similar on Craigs List is intriguing...

And now I'm really torn -- I looked last night on Amazon, never really thinking about checking with them for major tools. They are offering free shipping on the Powermatic. This is really making this decision tough!

Thanks again for all the great ideas.
    I have the G0555, and I'm quite happy with it.

If you're heart is on the Powermatic, you should take a drive to the Loveland Woodcraft store. There is a sale on now where you get the bandsaw ($899 - $100 mail in rebate), a FREE riser block, and a cool toy truck.

Link to the deal

Leave a comment:

• ragswl4
    replied
    I second the posts on getting what you want. If its Powermatic that trips your trigger then spend the extra bucks and don't look back. My father bought all the woodworking tools he ever wanted just before he retired, then Altzheimers and never got to use them. Do it now, you never know what's around the corner.

Leave a comment:

• sacherjj
    replied
    If you are considering getting a tool, or any major purchase on Amazon, look at the Amazon Visa from Chase. I use this for all Amazon purchases. You get $25 gift cert for every $833 spent at Amazon. When I was buying a bunch of tools from them, I received over $100 to spend on Amazon. It takes $2500 of non-Amazon purchased for a $25. I pay all my bills through the VISA, which makes $25 gift certs every couple months.

Leave a comment:

• LarryG
    replied
    Originally posted by wardprobst
    If I were as hot for a Powermatic as you are, I'd buy it 'cause it's what I wanted. Life's to short to go through wishing you'd done this or that and wondering what if? It's only money...
    I second this emotion. I too sensed a fair amount of Powermatic Lust in your OP, and thought about saying more or less what wardprobst did.

The Grizz is $508 delivered. The PM is $800 after rebate. The $292 difference is hardly pocket change, but it could be a small price to pay if it'll get you what you want with no second thoughts, no looking back, no lingering regrets.

Right now I'm lusting after a PM2000 table saw. Probably no way in hades I can justify it but it's what I want, so if there's anyway I can scrape together the money, I'm going to get one. Because it's what I want.

Leave a comment:

• wardprobst
    replied
    I have a Delta 14" and I really like it but I bought it because I wanted it. If I were as hot for a Powermatic as you are, I'd buy it 'cause it's what I wanted. Life's to short to go through wishing you'd done this or that and wondering what if? It's only money...
    DP

Leave a comment:

• lrr
    replied
    Folks -- thanks for all the suggestions! I was amazed to see the number of responses. I have been getting Grizzly catalogs for years, but never bought a major tool -- mostly smaller items. I am glad to hear the favorable reviews! And the thought of finding an older Delta or similar on Craigs List is intriguing...

And now I'm really torn -- I looked last night on Amazon, never really thinking about checking with them for major tools. They are offering free shipping on the Powermatic. This is really making this decision tough!

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

Leave a comment:

• sacherjj
    replied
    I got a friends Ridgid 14" for free. I added a Carter tension release, because I hate tensioning and untensioning. I also added the Grizzly riser. I had planned to eventually get the 555 Grizzly, as that seems to be the best bang for the buck, if this saw hadn't fallen in my lap.

Leave a comment:

• Whaler
    replied
    I have the Jet JBS14CS and am very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Knottscott
    replied
    For midrange 14", I'd be looking at the G0555 or the Craftsman 22401. For upper end, I'd take a look at the Rikon cadilac model.

Leave a comment:

• SARGE..g-47
    Guest replied
    I run a Steel City 18" for re-saw and kept my Jet 12" with smaller blades to cut curves. But if I were going to a 14" as you seem to be, I would look at the old style Delta's (I wouldn't touch the new ones) as Chris mentioned. If I were going new (and I probably would) the Griz 0555 as the guys mentioned is pretty well made from my observations and the price is excellent for the product delivered.

Regards...

Leave a comment:

• eddy merckx
    replied
    There is an article in the Iturra catalog about what the current best bandsaw is. If I remember right, he chose an old Delta 14" as the best possible saw. The best of the newer imports is the Powermatic because there are so few compomises. He also said (what Larry said) he'd rather upgrade to an 18 inch Grizzly for about the same money. Bigger wheels = fewer broken blades and ability to use 3/4" blades.

If you call Iturra Design, you can talk to Louis himself. He doesn't have a website, but the phone is 866 883-8064. If you haven't heard of it, Iturra Design is a company devoted to everything bandsaw.

Eddy

Leave a comment:

• scott213
    replied
    I'm not sure what your using it for but Shopsmith has my vote hands down. I owned a Jet 12" it was junk, couldn't resaw straight. I got my shopsmith and I can resaw oak, maple and whatever you throw at it with a 6" capacity. As far as cutting curves no problem. I also bought a circle cutter that is quite nice. Shopsmith tools are very well built. There is a video/book by Mark Duginski called mastering your bandsaw. It is chuck full of helpful suggestions. Also check out http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ssbandsawreview.htm

Leave a comment:

Working...