• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Fluorescent fixtures w/ lenses

I removed my dropped ceiling in the shop (basement) yesterday. Actually, I just helped it a little. The previous homeowner had installed it himself, and had done an awful job. Some of it was actually hilarious. Whenever he got into trouble, he used thumbtacks.

Oh, and the ceiling tiles were styrofoam.

PHO had used shop-type hanging fluorescent fixtures attached to the floor boards (between ceiling joists). Below these, in the dropped ceiling grid, he placed "prismatic lenses" those rough plastic lenses you usually see in fluorescent troffers used in REAL dropped ceilings).

Stupidly cheap (probably saved $10 per fixture) but it worked. The lenses diffused and spread the light nicely.

So I'm wondering if anyone makes hanging fluorescent fixtures w/ a similar lens. I've seen flush-mount with wrap-around lenses, but I'd prefer something w/o a wrap-around lens as I don't want my eye catching that vertical light surface.

So the ideal candidate would be a hanging fixture that has a slide-in/out lens (for when you need to change a bulb).

Anything like that, or other suggestions?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

This one from Lowes looks like it may work for you...

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You could hang just about any fixture. This fixture is a fairly standard one. There are industrial units that are explosion proof, made to hang. They are expensive, and you might find one at Grainger.

You could take an ordinary troffer and make a short frame to go around the perimeter, and just hang it. Those open and close pretty easy.

Comment

Working...