• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessrice
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

Shop electrical meter and panel ground?

Okay,

I have finally got my trench dug and conduit installed for new electric service in my shop. The meter base installed and connected two the panels on the inside with PVC conduit.

I have my grounding rods ready to go, and I have connected a #6 bare wire to one panel out to the first rod, over to the next rod and back the the second box making both panels grounded. The panels are bonded to neutral.

Now for my question, does the meter base also need to grounded directly to one of the panels? The meter base neutral is bonded to the box (by manufacturer) , and since the neutral travels to the panel which is bonded, is it effectly grounded already?

I looked at my neighbors meter and panels which are identical to mine, and he doesn't have a ground coming directly from the meter base to the ground rods, but he wasn't home to see if he had one coming in form the panels.

Anyway I am having ti inspected tomorrow, so it will be done correctly, but i would prefer to have it done right for the first inspection, instead of the reinspection.

thanks

Jesse
Working...