Not specific to any project but something I needed to learn ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turaj
    replied
    I cannot even think about trying to make something this precise!! You have done a really good job!

Leave a comment:

• jking
    replied
    I like it!

Leave a comment:

• Not specific to any project but something I needed to learn ...

A while back I posted a query about how to make 3D 5 point stars and received several helpful replies. At the time none of the suggestions gave me a warm fuzzy about trying the execution and so I let the notion simmer... recently I revived my interest in just how to do this, reviewed the previous suggestions, re-scoured the internet and actually went to the shop with a plan in mind.

The star below is made out of junk cedar I had lying in a scrap pile, the intention being to see if I could actually build the requisite jig and then actually make one of these stars.

I'm "reasonably" satisfied with the result although this process dictates a single size (7" from lateral point to lateral point) star and I want to now generalize the jig/technique for different sizes.

The biggest problem I had/have is the extreme precision required for everything to fit "just right" ... I managed to work in 1/64ths but it's tough to make the 10 pieces EXACTLY the same, even with the jig at this point ... hopefully with time and practice my technique will improve.

I see these stars at craft fairs all over the place and so I KNOW it isn't rocket science (it was however using trig that I haven't even thought of in over 40 years ).

So my first (ok 2nd) effort is:
    Attached Files
Working...