• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Walk in closet organization

I'm looking at building a storage system for my walk in closet. It's a space approx 6'x8' so it is pretty decent sized.

Right now, we have a single wire shelf running all the way around the 3 walls that don't have the door on it. The 8' wall is across from the door. I'm planning on splitting that wall with a floor to ceiling shelving system. Each side will have a high and a low bar for hanging to maximize the hanging space. The problem I'm seeing right now is the exact problem I have right now.

What do I do with the corners of the room? If I hang clothes to the 2 side walls, Then clothes hanging on the side walls will hide the clothes in the corner. I was trying to figure out what type of shelving would work there, thinking I could scrap the center shelving and do corner shelving. Anyone have any examples I can look at on what you did or seen anything like what I'm talking about?
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

It's the same problem folks have in kitchen corners. Most efficient (but really not very) is a corner cabinet shaped like a diamond with the front flattened. You could have shelving in it, for stuff like socks, sweaters, whatnot. These things would remain accessible even if off to the left or right side of the narrower front opening.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Check this out:

www.homedepot.com/closetmaid

You can see how Closetmaid is dealing with the corner. After I get the extra
      Fed tax rebate, I was going to do our master closet. I think ours is the same
      footprint as yours.

BTW, I have begun to price out the system I would want with cherry plywood
      and cherry drawers fronts, etc. I just can't build it cheaper than I can buy
      the Closetmaid Selectives system from Home Depot. After you factor in build
      time and finishing, I just can't beat it even though the HD stuff is particle
      board. I really hate to admit that.

Paul

Comment

• Anna
        • Feb 2006
        • CA, USA.
        • BT3100

You can also try Easy Closets. You can design your closet with different components and configurations. Not sure how the price compares with Closet Maid, though.

Comment

• bfrikken
          • Apr 2005
          • Michigan, USA.
          • BT-3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          Check this out:

www.homedepot.com/closetmaid

You can see how Closetmaid is dealing with the corner. After I get the extra
          Fed tax rebate, I was going to do our master closet. I think ours is the same
          footprint as yours.

BTW, I have begun to price out the system I would want with cherry plywood
          and cherry drawers fronts, etc. I just can't build it cheaper than I can buy
          the Closetmaid Selectives system from Home Depot. After you factor in build
          time and finishing, I just can't beat it even though the HD stuff is particle
          board. I really hate to admit that.

Paul
          I'm considering using melamine. Will be running to Lowes today at lunch to see what they have. I liked the corner shelving they used in the closetmaid system. My time is free, since I'm looking forward to this, and my FIL may be coming this weekend, and we'll want a project to do.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

A corner designed shelving with ends that create a straight line going in both directions is definitely a solution. The picture below shows two options. The shelf section is made large enough to accommodate real storage. The hanging section at the bottom shows clothing hung both ways into the corner.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

LOML's closet is about this size and she has hanging into the corners but she puts things she uses less often in those locations. It is all wire stuff but has shelves and two layer hanging. The builder had it put in. I redid my smaller walk in with two levels of hanging and some shelves out of melamine.

Jim

Comment

Working...