For those asking what kind of woodworking this fellow wants to do, here's the original post (boldfacing added):
"I have a coworker who is getting into woodworking. He asked me what are the five most basic tools needed to begin (he states that he has absolutely nothing). Before I give him an answer, I thought I would make an inquiry here. This would include both portable and bench tools. He states that he would like to eventually build things like built in book shelves and entertainment centers. He's budget is approximately $1500 (lucky man!)."
Basic tools needed to get started
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
As others have said, "Too do what???"
A turner's needs are generally different that a cabinet makers, which are different than a joiners, which are..., etc.
Is your friend a budding Normite, or do his interests lean more towards acoustic tools? What you need to cut a mortise & tenon is a bit different for each.
More info would be a help.
LenLeave a comment:
-
The only thing I can recommend buying sight-unseen are some Bessey clamps, particularly the K-series (old, new, they are both good). The problem is that you could spend $1500 on clamps...and still need moreAnd preference is very personal - all the tool reviews will not tell you something you personally want. I now know that I'd prefer to wait a looong time for the used but 'classy' tool, instead of buying new but cheap. The stuff I bought before that epiphany hit me hurts my eyes every time I look at the dust accumulated on it !
Leave a comment:
-
What does he want to do?
LinuxRandal said this -- but I will reiterate the question -- to do what?I have a coworker who is getting into woodworking. He asked me what are the five most basic tools needed to begin (he states that he has absolutely nothing). Before I give him an answer, I thought I would make an inquiry here. This would include both portable and bench tools. He states that he would like to eventually build things like built in book shelves and entertainment centers. He's budget is approximately $1500 (lucky man!).
Any suggestions?
-------------
$1500 buys a real nice lathe -- if that's his interest.
-----------------
Sheet good stuff? (Book cases, cabinets etc.)
Table saw with extensions
Appropriate assembly bench
Circular saw with clamp on guides
Lee Valley System 32 -- http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42311
Porter Cable Biscuit Machine (Model 557?) or dewalt
Porter Cable http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
Dewalt -- http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=DW682K
Clamps of appropriate size and function
Hand Plane (For fitting trim)
Supplies like glue, biscuits dowels etc....
---------------
Stick Furniture?
Table saw with extensions -- good fence -- good miter
Appropriate assembly bench
Router (Hitachi -- Porter Cable?) with Decent table like ...http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=151&ID=19914
Hand Power Sander
Hand Plane
Thickness Planer
Set of appropriate clamps
Supplies like glue, sandpaper etc.
Wood Storage racks (e.g. Triton http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=WRA001 )
----------------
$1500 is a little light for doing serious stuff -- but it's a darn good start.
Maybe a good second hand table saw, and a good second hand bench if possible.
General International had a deal on some new imported tables -- I bought the bigger one and am waiting for delivery... this week I hope.
http://general.ca -- look at the "what's new" section and you will see two workbenches. 95-054 and 95-060Leave a comment:
-
>
>
All other posts above have done a good job giving you the what. I think your friend could do himself a lot of good by joining a forum; and what's better than this one
! Lots to learn.
>
>
Next, if there's any community class / evening school on woodworking around you, it's worth much more than it's small fee : hands-on experience, and friendships with teachers and practitioners of the field. Even Woodcraft has some of these - highly recommended.
>
>
To sum it - woodworking is more than the tools; a get-familiar time of 3 months, or even 1 month, would do wonders for him.
This is excellent advice. Answering the OP's question would depend on what woodworking will be done. A person could plan for one segment, like turning, and then decide to build a cabinet. There's been a lot of good suggestions. I will say that part of the decision of the type of tools/machinery might also depend on how avid a woodworker the person is. If a living is dependent on tools, it's a different story.
I've got to mention that not long ago, maybe 100 plus years or so, there were no electric power tools. Craftsmen did magnificent woodwork. Those things that we think we have to have may not be as important as we think. When I started out a circular saw was my primary tool. There weren't plunge routers that I knew of, and I got along fine with a fixed base for many years.
The market and technology has modified our choices and what is made available for our convenience. I remember when cars had roll up windows. They worked just fine. I haven't had a car in 30+ years that had them. I think about the accidents where cars go into the water, or have an electrical malfunction, and then I really miss them.
.Leave a comment:
-
Wow! I can already see you spending some time there once it is stocked up
!
drlien and rnelson have exactly said what I've been driving at too.
Buying a bunch of tools in one-fell-swoop is like when one of my friends decided to start a home-office-business : business stationery, office furniture, state-of-art laptop, printer, even an account with a CPA came first; then he looked up to go search for clients
! None came, and he held on stubbornly for almost two years before he threw in the towel and sold all that dirt-cheap.
And preference is very personal - all the tool reviews will not tell you something you personally want. I now know that I'd prefer to wait a looong time for the used but 'classy' tool, instead of buying new but cheap. The stuff I bought before that epiphany hit me hurts my eyes every time I look at the dust accumulated on it
!
Leave a comment:
-
You can, if you buy used and get lucky. For $300 I was able to get a table saw, miter saw, circ saw, and a clamp or two. With some patience, hopefully my bandsaw, jointer, and planer will cost less than $1200, whenever I find a good deal.Now, in reality for 1500$ you can't really do it well.
Another reason to hold on is preference and usage. I bought a bunch of crappy clamps when I started, wish I could get that $60 back and put it toward some better ones. I purchased a good circular saw but it is not the most comfortable to hold and view the sightline. After that, I started waiting until I found the right one - good clamps on sale, waited 12 months to get a corded drill that I would be satisfied with, etc.I can't offer any better advice on tool selection over what's already been given, but I would caution anyone that jumps into a hobby and spends a bunch of money unless it's something they really have a passion for.Leave a comment:
-
I can't offer any better advice on tool selection over what's already been given, but I would caution anyone that jumps into a hobby and spends a bunch of money unless it's something they really have a passion for. I have an uncle that was convinced that he wanted to do a bunch of DIY welding projects so he spent a bundle of cash on welding equipment. That stuff has sat in the corner of his garage since 1989.
I never intended to get into woodworking. I bought a RAS for building a deck. A CMS for finishing a basement. That all evolved into bookshelves, cabinets, and other projects and the tool purchases continue to this day. The project has usually guided the tool aquisition process. I guess I'm rambling, but the forums and classes are important start to learn and maybe use some tools to get some equipment preferences. I would hate to see someone buy a bunch of stuff and then a year later be the guy on C-list with a posting that says "used this stuff for one project and it's been gathering dust since".Leave a comment:
-
The David Marks 4
table saw
bandsaw
jointer
planer
+
dust collector
Now, in reality for 1500$ you can't really do it well. I would saw it REALLY depends on what you are making, or interested in making. For my type of wood working, it'd be a table saw, a router (for edge jointing), a planer (build a sled for face jointing), maybe a band saw or good jig saw depending upon $$$. ROS sander is nice, and reasonably affordable as well. And OF COURSE a shop vac with hepa filter if not a canister DC (which is probably impossible given the $), maybe a box fan+filter deal too.
The TS is dead set useful for rectilinear work and joinery, the planer moves you out of buying home depot lumber. A jointer is AWESOME, but you can do edge jointing with a router and face jointing with the planer, it's a pain, but very doable. Clamps and the lot of course...
also, maybe some $$$ for those cabinets you'll need to build for these bench tools.Leave a comment:
-
I think that is probably more of what he meant, but he wanted to make certain that he at least had the five basic tools.It's interesting how this question is phrased. Most people would ask, "I want to get started in woodworking and I have $1500 to spend. What should I buy?" Asked that way, I'd give you a somewhat different answer. Still, if I were setting up a bare-bones woodworking shop from scratch, and was planning to start by spending $1500 on only five items, those are the five items I'd buy first, I think.
He's one of the lucky ones who already has a 40' x 20' building (boy am I envious).
He'll do just that before the night is out (we're working together tonite).Leave a comment:
-
I think a pocket hole jig would also come in handy, and don't cost that much. I would throw it in the list too.Leave a comment:
-
My 2 cents:
At first about different saws. If you plan to use sheet goods - you need circular saw. This tool is inexpensive and important. You can build a lot of things with just one saw.
Table saw is a swiss army knife of stationary saws. It can do all basic types of cuts. It can make rip cuts, crosscuts and it can cut sheet goods. For every type of cut there is, however, something better. In order to cut sheet goods you will need first to bring the piece down in size with circular saw so you can manage it on a table. With good edge guide you can make decent cuts with just circular saw. Compound miter saw makes better crosscuts than table saw but it cannot rip or cut sheet goods. Band saw excels at rip cuts but it cannot do crosscuts or sheet goods at all. So if you plan to buy just one stationary saw - make it a table saw. But as you add other saws later - table saw will see less use. Jig saw is also usefull but it is a nice-to-have, not must-have.
A drill press or corded drill is a must. Cordless drill is nice but not a must. If you can afford - get a drill press and a cordless drill.
Workbench is important. If you want to learn - get yourself hardware for vises and build your own workbench.
At least one router is important. If you want to have only one - make it a multi-base kit. Single router motor with interchangable bases. Most popular are Bosch 1617 ESVK andf Hitachi KM12VC. You can later make yourself a table to mount one of the bases.
You need a sander. ROS (Random-Orbit Sander) is the most universal.
To round up the list you need a shop vac to keep your shop clean, you need clamps to assemple whatever you are building and you need measuring tools.Leave a comment:
-
Lots of good advice here, so I won’t repeat what has been said. But here is a suggestion I would pass on to your friend:
Do not get in a hurry to outfit a shop or to build elaborate furniture and make inlayed do-dads. You will eventually be able to build anything you have a mind to, but the entire process can be savored, including building skills with simple projects and outfitting a shop a little bit at a time.
First off, spend some time thinking carefully about how each tool might get used before making a purchase. For tools that will receive light, occasional usage, Harbor Freight or equivalent might make sense. But for all other tools, it pays off in the long run to shell out more for top quality. I learned the hard way that it just does not make good sense to buy a cheap tool and then turn around a few months later and buy one of better quality. Do without, use your noggin to make do, and save your dough until you have enough cash to buy what you really need. Part of the fun of woodworking is trying to figure out how to solve problems and make something with what you have on hand. But nothing is more frustrating than trying to do something with a POS tool; and few things are more enjoyable than accomplishing what you set out to do with a quality tool that does exactly what you expect it to do.Leave a comment:
-
This is tough! Best advice, look for bargains. But for basic woodworking...
1. Bench saws.
Possibly sacrilege - a good RAS, tuned up, with a well-designed table, is capable of performing almost everything a TS and CMS/SCMS can do together. I went many years and projects with a RAS, some smaller power tools (circular saw, sabre-saw, router) for cutting, until I felt the "need" to add a TS and CMS, which was mainly for the ease of having certain functions dedicated to each machine. A good used RAS can usually be found for under $150; new, starting ~$650+. Add a good blade - another $50 to $100.
However, as TS and a SCMS are ultimately part of every woodworking shop, These can be had at various prices, but I'd aim for ~$650 for both (which obviates the RAS).
2. Small cordless power tools. I'd go for a kit that runs off the same batteries, like the Ryobi 1+ line or Craftsman C3 - I find the drill/driver, sabre-saw and trim-saw to be the most useful. I reach for my trim-saw before my corded CS for cutting most sheet goods - ensure you have a good blade and cutting guide - I recommend the AIO type guide. The sabre-saw is great for curve cuts you can't do on the BS. Combo sets vary, as does price by brand, but I'd plan for ~$250.
3. Router combo (fixed & plunge base). $100 and up. Also need a table, but that can be made (and might be a good first project.)
4. Sanders - for various needs, ROS, Spindle, Disc - probably another $250 minimum altogether.
5. Some kind of dust collection - can be a $100 shop vac with good HP, up to real DC for $$$.
Look for bargains, since some budget should be allocated to measuring and hand-tools, as others have suggested.Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM.Leave a comment:
-
If I were to start over, I would buy things in a slightly different order. Keep in mind that some of these prices are on used goods - you are going to be hard pressed to get an unused-but-old saw for $125, but if you wait you CAN find those deals on Craigslist.
* Circular saw. You need this, and not much else, to build a pair of sawhorses. You can then use the sawhorses and the circ to cut sheet goods, which means you are halfway to a workbench.
* Corded drill. Yeah, portable rocks. But there are times when you want a good drill with lots of power to do 50 or 60 actions with the same bit and the corded drill delivers. Now you can assemble the workbench, hang some pegboard, and put the drill away for a bit.
* Lighting. Not a power tool, really, but if I had added these earlier, a lot of my first jobs would have come out more precise or I could have finished them earlier since I would not be relying on daylight.
* Sanders. You can do a lot by hand, but a 1/4 sheet sander and random orbital sander give you your light and medium duty sanders. Belt senders give you your heavy duty sanding, but honestly I rarely use mine. If you are fortunately, you can find a package deal for <$100. Now you can create finished goods.
* Measuring tools. I mean good ones. You can go through 25' measuring tapes that cost $5 like candy, but that $30 12" rule always seems expensive. I have learned that I should have bought it first. There are lots of good precision tools out there - rules, guides, marking gauges, etc. Buy a few to get started and do not forget to add a few inbetween huge power tool purchases.
That is five items and you could make a lot of things that way, but you obviously want to go further. With luck on craiglist/ebay/whatever, your friend should only have spent about $400 by now, including materials for the sawhorses and workbench, and maybe a thick sheet of ply/mdf to lay over the sawhorses as needed. Here are some other things and the order I would buy them, assuming that your friend is eventually looking at making furniture - if not, let us know what he wants to do.
* Vise
* Table saw
* Safety tools (pushsticks, featherboards, etc.)
* Hand plane
* Miter saw
* Precision/Measurement tools (maybe a more accurate miter gauge, laser sights for an existing tool, etc.)
* Biscuit Joiner
* Router
* Router bits
* Planer
* Jointer
I have everything but the planer and jointer and I think you can make some pretty good furniture that way. Add in a few random tools appropriate to the tasks at hand - various hand saws, jigs, whatever - and most people should be well on their way. Do not rush to buy everything on the list, though. It will take you a loooooong time to get proficient at some tools and it will prevent you from taking advantage of the rest. If you cannot make precise cuts on your table saw, for instance, chances are that the planer will not help a whole lot. Same thing with the router and biscuit joiner, you need properly shaped wood before you can use them. The first five - circ saw, drill, lighting, sanders, and measuring tools - will certainly be invaluable regardless of what the goals are, for woodworking and general home maintenance and improvement.
What is your friend's goal with woodworking? Does he want to make birdhouses or bedroom sets? A new deck or new bookcase? Frame a wall or redo the trim? Different goals require different tools and a framing nailer is going to come in a LOT handier than a hand plane for framing a wall.
If your friend is looking at creating some "fine goods", I would make sure he finds a set of sanders he likes. For every 30 minutes at the table saw, you will probably spend another hour sanding. It is worth finding one that fits your hand properly and does not hurt after 5 minutes of use.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: