• Show
Clear All
  • gettools
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • Fort Worth, Texas
    • BT3100

Which one ( need quick answers )

I have found a reconditiond bt3100 for $125.00. should I buy this or a 21829 which is more mobile. I have untill 2:00 to make up my mind or it will be sold to another party
    Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

How mobile do you need it to be? You could add a mobile base to a BT33100 for $50. Is the Sears BT clone worth $250-$300 more than the BT? There's also some kind of issue with mounting a router on the Sears model. Don't remember exactly what it is but search the forum, I'm sure you'll find it. I had a BT3100 for two years and liked the saw. I think its design is better than the Sears model, just my opinion. Good luck! Oh yeah, depends on what refurbished means as well. You certainly should check out the BT before buying.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• jon_ramp
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • western Chicago burb
      • Craftsman 21829

I was looking for a used BT before I wound up purchasing the 21829. The used ones in the Chicago area were closer to $200. I have a very small area in my basement to work and the ability to fold up the 21829 and take it up the stairs and outside has made me happy with spending the extra $. I also won my 21829 in an eBay auction and only paid $280.

The router kit for the 21829 is very similar to the BT3100. The difference is that the table has countersunk holes for attaching a router directly to the table rather than mounting your router to a plate and then to the table. The holes in the table are located to fit Ryobi or Craftsman routers; however, I just made my own plate and mounted a DeWalt DW618 this weekend and it work out well. Hope to have pics of the install on the site this week.

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

Depending on condition, buy it. I've seen a few posts here from folks who were not real happy with the mobile stand for the Sears anyway. $250 or so is a high price to pay for mobility.
        - Chris.

Comment

• gettools
          Established Member
          • Sep 2006
          • Fort Worth, Texas
          • BT3100

I was told it was reconditioned by home depot, not sure of anything more. It looks brand new
          Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!

Comment

• prlundberg
            Established Member
            • May 2006
            • Minnesota
            • Craftsman 21829

I have the 21829, the only other advantage besides the base would be the router kit that comes with the 21829, but you can buy that fairly cheap.

I'd go with the BT3, it's still light enough that's it's fairly portable anyway. The mobile base is nice but not worth that much.

That's assuming, of course, that the BT3 is in good condition.
            Phil

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

Having both, I can chime in: get the BT, the extra bucks you save will buy you everything you're missing from the 21829, and more.

Comment

Working...