Ark project finished

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by footprintsinconc
    that is amazing!! very nice. it even dis-assembles?!! if this is your first piece of furniture, you truely have a gift at ww.

    now, can you show us some more detailed shots of the side, so we can see some detail of the sides of the stars and of the dis-assembly areas.
    Sorry Omar, when they came to pick it up I was so paranoid that they didnt damage it as they moved it I didnt manage to get any more photos, but the assembly was pretty much as I mentioned in my earlier post.

    Leave a comment:


  • atgcpaul
    replied
    That is really nice. You did a great job.

    Leave a comment:


  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by Pappy
    I was thinking AMAZING before I read that it was also designed to break down. Amazing doesn't come close!
    You are very kind. I have seen examples of your work so I take that as a complement.

    Leave a comment:


  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by footprintsinconc
    that is amazing!! very nice. it even dis-assembles?!! if this is your first piece of furniture, you truely have a gift at ww.

    now, can you show us some more detailed shots of the side, so we can see some detail of the sides of the stars and of the dis-assembly areas.
    Thanks Omar, the construction of the star is really pretty straightforward. I made 2 triangles that matched the geometry of the main cabinet and then used half laps to join them together leaving approx 1/4" overlap to provide some relief and depth.

    It should be being picked up tomorrow so I will try and remember to take some shots of how it comes apart. Again I went for simple so all it takes is six screws that attach the front and rear frames. There are captive nuts in the main A frame that they screw into.

    Leave a comment:


  • footprintsinconc
    replied
    that is amazing!! very nice. it even dis-assembles?!! if this is your first piece of furniture, you truely have a gift at ww.

    now, can you show us some more detailed shots of the side, so we can see some detail of the sides of the stars and of the dis-assembly areas.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pappy
    replied
    I was thinking AMAZING before I read that it was also designed to break down. Amazing doesn't come close!

    Leave a comment:


  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by crokett
    Jon,

    That is beautiful work. I know the congregation will appreciate it. Is there a traditional design for arks or is this your own original one?
    I think traditional designs are rather ornate. Many a simply a box construction. I have seen quite a few contemporary ones and that was what I tried to do with this design (yes its my own).

    Leave a comment:


  • crokett
    replied
    Jon,

    That is beautiful work. I know the congregation will appreciate it. Is there a traditional design for arks or is this your own original one?

    Leave a comment:


  • SARGE..g-47
    Guest replied
    Extremely well done, Jon. You should be proud... they should be proud.. HE should be proud.

    Leave a comment:


  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by shoottx
    Very Cool

    I was wondering over the last couple of days where you had gone. The good news it was to the shop for a beautiful,and inherently spiritual project.

    If I were you, I would be careful sharing picture of this ark very far and wide or you may find yourself in the synagogue outfitting business.
    That wouldnt be such a bad thing if they were going to pay

    Leave a comment:


  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by radhak
    Jon, that's a nice piece of ...umm... furniture..?!?? No wonder they balked at the price-tag; that must cost a fortune if you were charging them !

    What wood is it?

    And how does it dis-assemble?
    Its made from solid walnut with 1/4" walnut veneered MDF for the back, side and door panels.

    The "A" frame is hinged at the top like a ladder and the front and back are complete sub assemblies attached with machine screws and captive threads. There is a small filler piece that sits on the top in the gap created by the opening of the frame. The shelf slides in from either side.

    Leave a comment:


  • poolhound
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristofor
    That looks very nice Jon.

    I can't tell from the picture, what is the scale of the piece? If it's for holding scrolls, and there aren't any shelves is it a table-top unit? Or are these scrolls several feet long and the ark sized to match?

    Thanks,
    Kristofor.
    The base is ~56" and it is just shy of 6' tall. It is designed to go onto a standard 30" table top hence the seemingly low position of the door handles. It is sized to be home for one scroll that is approx 3' tall and 12"w X 8" d.

    I built it based on a mockup model and am waiting for the real one to arrive and I will retrofit some internal backets to support it but I didnt want to make them until I could measure the real thing. They are actually getting a Holocaust scroll that was rescued from somewhere in Poland I believe.

    Leave a comment:


  • lrogers
    replied
    Wow, that turned out very nice Jon.

    Leave a comment:


  • shoottx
    replied
    Very Cool

    I was wondering over the last couple of days where you had gone. The good news it was to the shop for a beautiful,and inherently spiritual project.

    If I were you, I would be careful sharing picture of this ark very far and wide or you may find yourself in the synagogue outfitting business.

    Leave a comment:


  • radhak
    replied
    Jon, that's a nice piece of ...umm... furniture..?!?? No wonder they balked at the price-tag; that must cost a fortune if you were charging them !

    What wood is it?

    And how does it dis-assemble?

    Leave a comment:

Working...