Sears has Craftsman 14" band saw for $350 in-store pick up, good deal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xli1
    Established Member
    • May 2006
    • Big Boston Area
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Sears has Craftsman 14" band saw for $350 in-store pick up, good deal?

Is this a good deal? Is the resaw performance good enough at 8"?

http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I noticed that, also. At that price it's cheaper than they listed price of the HF 14" band saw (except HF has the coupons...). The motor is bigger at 1 HP. I'd jump on it, but I've never been happy with my craftsman 10" model.

Thinking about it, though.
    Joe

Comment

• xli1
      Established Member
      • May 2006
      • Big Boston Area
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

I actually have the 10" model. Originally using the stock blade, that was really bad, made me feel this saw was horrible. I recently tuned the saw and changed the blade, although not the best blade like timerwolf, but it still made a big difference. I was eyeing the bigger 17" saw from Grizzly, but it is out of my budget. This saw seems to be a good primer, but I don't want to get a bad saw. I wish to have a bigger resaw capacity than 8". I am thinking about this too ...
      http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I use a Timberwolf in my 10" Craftsman, have it tuned as best I can, but it's not great. The 1/3 motor just isn't big enough.
        Joe

Comment

• Biolite
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2014

I have that saw, it's a good one. It's actually the same as the previous generation Rikon 14" bandsaw; different base and adjustment knobs. I don't think $350 is too bad, but I have seen them go for <$300 off of searsoutlet.com occasionally.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Biolite
            I have that saw, it's a good one. It's actually the same as the previous generation Rikon 14" bandsaw; different base and adjustment knobs. I don't think $350 is too bad, but I have seen them go for <$300 off of searsoutlet.com occasionally.
            Any problems with power? It's listed as 1 HP, but Sears is notorious for inflating their HP ratings.

I assume parts won't be a problem since most, if not all, are interchangeable with Rikon.
            Joe

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I think that model is just a rebranded Rikon. Pretty good saw, decent buy for the money.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dangre
                Norum Fewbie
                • Oct 2009
                • Gardnerville, NV
                • BT3100-1

Manual shows the part # as 124.32607. Manufacturer code 124 shows
                124 UNKNOWN (China source for Craftsman model 32607 14" 2-speed wood cutting band saw)
                Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Well, I went ahead and ordered it. The past couple orders we have placed with Sears have been nothing but problems, so if I actually receive it, I will be pleasantly surprised. Sears just announced the closing of our regular store and I did not have the option to send it there. I had to have it delivered to the local outlet.
                  Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I was just in our local Sears last week. They are closing, with clearance prices in effect as of June 30th and an expected closing date at some time in September. So, I've been interested in that particular bandsaw and it was priced a $450, with 10% off because of the clearance. I went back yesterday (7/11) to see if they had dropped the price. It was gone and I asked the manager about it.

Apparently, it was sold for that $450 minus the 10%! I think the buyer got ripped, as it was the floor model, with all that goes with that...possible missing parts, manual, and the table was nasty looking. I told the manager that I thought the clearance discount was sort of joke, considering that everything was "display". He agreed, but those were the orders. He also said that he can't order anything as they are "closing".

I guess the nearest store to us is presently in the Elmira, NY area. Question for me of course is why buy anything Craftsman any more. There is nothing near to us if I have a warranty or return issue.

That aside, I think this bandsaw is a terrific buy for $350. I do not believe it is a Rikon-made saw though. Like so many bandsaws these days, I believe this particular saw is made in Taiwan (as probably are the Rikon's) under contract with one of the many manufacturer's there who turn these out under various brand names and with specifications to each.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Is it showing as unavailable for everyone now? It's showing unavailable for me. I ordered one last night and the order went through, but I'm not too optimistic about getting it. Our last couple orders from Sears never got here.
                      Joe

Comment

• dangre
                        Norum Fewbie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Gardnerville, NV
                        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                        Is it showing as unavailable for everyone now? It's showing unavailable for me. I ordered one last night and the order went through, but I'm not too optimistic about getting it. Our last couple orders from Sears never got here.
                        Yup, "Temporarily unavailable". Looks like you got the last one.
                        Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

To repeat what I told my wife yesterday, "Is there any wonder why they are going out of business?"

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Biolite
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by JoeyGee

Any problems with power? It's listed as 1 HP, but Sears is notorious for inflating their HP ratings.

I assume parts won't be a problem since most, if not all, are interchangeable with Rikon.
                            I haven't seen any issues with power on it, but the most taxing thing I've resawed was a SYP 2x4. Sears has been a pain with online ordering. I frequently would have items just randomly cancelled. When I got this saw I actually showed up to the store to pick it up and they didn't show any in their inventory. It took about 30 minutes of searching to find it.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

It's showing as back in stock again. I'm still not terribly confident I'll actually get one delivered next week as promised.

​​
                              Joe

Comment

Working...