• Show
Clear All
  • Poobah
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2010
    • SoCal
    • BT3100

PC 892 Router $140@HD

HD was closing out the Porter Cable 892 router (fixed base with 2.25 hp motor and a nice case) at my local store. That is $30 less than the best price online ($170 at Amazon). Don't forget the 10% military discount if you are eligible.

I got it to replace the Dewalt 618 in my router lift. I am amazed at how much smoother and quieter it is. And compared to the Bosch 617 I tried out in a pinch it's night and day.

The PC could handle my 3.5" panel cutter in red oak in one pass. Not saying I will be doing that, but I know it's got plenty of juice for making a nice raised panel in 2-3 passes. The Dewalt was capable but blew up and the Oak stops the bit in the Bosch unless you feed about an inch per minute or raise the speed to about 15k RPM.
  • ultimatesooner
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2010

I picked one up and used a Harbor Freight 20% but it was on clearance for $159 when I got it. The home depots here in OKC also have the ridgid 2HP routers on clearance for $159 or so

Comment

• Poobah
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2010
      • SoCal
      • BT3100

How can you use an HF coupon at home depot? Especially for something HF doesn't carry?

Comment

• ultimatesooner
        Handtools only
        • Mar 2010

just give the coupon to the cashier - I have used harbor freight coupons @ home depot about 20 or so times in the past year. I have only been rejected once when the discount was over $50 and it needed manager override and the manager wouldn't do it. I went back the next morning with two coupons and broke my purchase up into two seperate orders and it worked fine

Comment

• Poobah
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2010
          • SoCal
          • BT3100

I'm speechless. Are the cashiers that stupid that they can't recognize a HD coupon vs some other coupon or am I missing sometihng here?

Comment

• yuri
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2008
            • Gaithersburg, MD

Originally posted by Poobah
            I'm speechless. Are the cashiers that stupid that they can't recognize a HD coupon vs some other coupon or am I missing sometihng here?
            Not that stupid. HD says that they will accept competitor's coupons. Let say if you have Lowe's coupon, HD will accept it right away. As for HF coupons, some stores may not consider HF as a competitor...

Comment

• Poobah
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2010
              • SoCal
              • BT3100

Ahh, now I get it. Didn't know about matching coupons from competitors!

Comment

• ultimatesooner
                Handtools only
                • Mar 2010

yes, myself and several others from slickdeals.net were using the Lowes $10 off $25 coupons that were around at the end of 2010 as

Comment

• SteveCSmith
                  Handtools only
                  • Nov 2007

Another Price Drop

Just stopped by the local BORG here in Colorado and found one for $99 (complete in case). Couldn't pass that up - collecting the last of the good porter cable tools as DeWalt turns them into a trash tool company.

I already have an 890 series router that I use in my router table (now I don't have to take it in and out). I have made a full kitchens worth of raised panel doors with my 890 and a 3-1/4" bit - works awesome in oak and maple - doesn't even really bog down that I can tell.

Comment

• Poobah
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2010
                    • SoCal
                    • BT3100

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Went to the other HD in town and found two for $99. Will be bringing back the one for $140.

Now I just need to find a plunge base on Ebay or something. I've heard you can use the plunge bases from the 690 series too, so maybe I can find one reasonably cheep.

Comment

• PassingInterest
                      Handtools only
                      • Mar 2009
                      • Dallas

Thanks for the tip. I just picked one up for $99. Woo-Hoo!

Comment

Working...