• Bigwavedave2u
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2022

Permanent Powermatic 64 Alignment Solutions

Click image for larger version

Name:	th-2569114610.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	851234 Hello, although this is specific to the Powermatic 64a, it will solve nearly all contractor saws with trunnions, alignment issues

1. To clarify: The trunnion rear "nuts" on this powermatic model are reverse thread.
    2. Once I removed the motor, motor plate, trunnion nuts and trunnion backplate, I took a fine grit grinder and carefully ground down a flat spot on each trunnion where my set bolt would make contact.
    3. I drilled and tapped a guide for a 1/4" set bolt to be tightened through the trunnion back plate at an easy angle at exactly 90° to the trunnion flat spot I had previously ground.

The next issue I noticed was that the trunnion twisting torque was not so much a fatal flaw in that part of the design but much more from the motor weight alone being used to maintain belt tension and thus the **** thing will bounce willy nilly when started. Hence
    4. I bolted a piece of 1" x 1/4" piece of strap metal to riving knife post, through spring and onto motor rest plate along with a strut brace. It is critical to confine this mechanism within this area or unit cannot tilt.
    5. I then attached two takeup bolts at front base of motor as adjustable stops for motor. This in harmony with the trunnion stops have eliminated ALL fatal flaw issues.
    6. I then installed PALS and viola.
    It is important to note that I acquired this unit new for $150. And thus I felt I could invest some sweat equity. I have worked with wood for nearly 60 years and this is my first **** fine piece of equipment. Better late than never. I hope this helps the beleaguered. Any questions just ask. Will post pictures shortly Click image for larger version  Name:	th-1889596002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	851233
    Last edited by Bigwavedave2u; 06-11-2022, 04:50 AM.
Working...