Kenneth Norton Sr. (Aug 9, 1943 – Sep 18, 2013)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Kenneth Norton Sr. (Aug 9, 1943 – Sep 18, 2013)

One of the greats in the boxing world passed away yesterday at the age of 70. While I am not a big fight fan, Norton was one of a style of fighters in his day that I liked to watch. He, George Foreman, Joe Frazier, and several others stepped into the Heavyweight ring with the attitude that you may beat me, but you will have to beat me down first. Never ones for a lot of fancy footwork, these fighters would stand toe to toe and trade blows with their opponents for 12 - 15 rounds.

Funny thing is I never connected him with linebacker/coach Ken Norton, Jr. Maybe because of the different sports. Sims, Manning, Jeffcoat, Dorsett and others playing football now, whether pro or college, bring up memories of watching their fathers play.

From one article I read Ken Norton, Sr. played defense in high school as well as running track. At one point he was entered, and placed first, in 8 events by his track coach. This led to an Illinois rule that limits an athlete to participating in a maximum of 3 event at a meet.

Norton started boxing as a Marine, winning the All Marine title 3 times. He was only the second to defeat Ali, in the first of their 3 fights. The other 2 fights rank high on the list of controversial fights, with many believing the decisions went to Ali because he held the title. (Before I get pounced on by Ali fans, I think the nickname of "The Greatest" is well deserved.) I not sure, but I think Norton was the only opponent to send Ali to the hospital, breaking his jaw in their first meeting.

Rest in peace, Mr. Norton!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
Working...