• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Blanket (Hope) chest - Prologue

Started this project today - bought the Philippine Mohagany this morning, and LOML and I started the cross- and rip-cutting for the pattern I have in mind. Will end up consuming ~42 BF in the process (will be entirely constructed of the mohagany boards), material rang up at $160.

Plan to use frame&panel construction - will post photos as the project develops.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Progress through 6/14

Time to post some pictures of the work in progress.

To date:
    Stock cut from the mohagany boards
    Thickness planing and edge jointing of stock
    Rails stick-cut, stiles cope-cut, mullions stick and cope cut
    Panels raised and back cut
    Frame/panel/mullion dry fit all sides

Left to do (by July 4):
    Plate joining of stock for lid
    Bandsawing and routing of stock for bottom edge feet
    Routing of stock for chest lip/edge (mounts to top edges of panel assys)
    Sanding
    Sanding
    Gluing
    Sanding
    Finishing
    Hinge mounting of lid to chest

Biggest lesson learned in this project so far: Practice with some samples of the wood you plan to use before buying your stock and starting the project. My choice of Philippine Mohagany probably would have moved to Honduran or African - turns out PM has something close to the composition of bamboo (well, not that bad, but close). End-grain routing has proven challenging, even for new bits (which work very well on oak, btw - I am using these - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2775 - bought back when the set was on sale for $30, and am VERY happy with them). The wood is beautiful though, if light and soft, and smells wonderful when cutting.

Other important lesson: pay careful attention to which side of the mullion faces up when cutting for cope vs. stick.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Looking good so far. Stock selection is nice. I got somewhat troubled seeing this procedure:

How you operate your own machinery has to be comfortable and safe. I personally wouldn't feel either comfortable or safe operating from the side of the saw.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Looks like a beautiful chest in the making, Bill. I had the same thought as C-man when I saw that picture.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Nice job so far. Will be waiting to see the finished project.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Mike and Pappy, I'm curious to know why you think working from the side might not be safe. Rather than hijack Bill's thread, I've started a separate one here: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?p=351643.

Bill, really nice work and something for me to aspire to. I'd like to make one for my niece sometime.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

All, thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out like I hope it will.

Originally posted by cabinetman
              ...I got somewhat troubled seeing this procedure...I personally wouldn't feel either comfortable or safe operating from the side of the saw.
              C-Man, appreciate the sentiment about safety. I find that with the CM 21829/BT3K, a cut from the side as shown is very comfortable and safe, since you can move the accessory table in close so there's no reaching over a huge table such as with a real cabinet saw. Being up close on the side offers excellent control advantages, especially cutting short panels, and not having to reach over the front of the table to push them past the pawls and riving knife. Note: I would not use this method ripping stock less than ~7in wide, due to blade-proximity-induced-anxiety.

BTW - photos show LOML pitching in, and enjoying it. She's been looking for a hobby, and has discovered she likes transforming wood into an end-product. Like someone recently posted, she now "understands" the time required in setup, etc. to make something turn out the way you want...and I'm hoping it makes future tool acquisitions easier to discuss without the "why do we need more?" questions.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• just started
                • Mar 2008
                • suburban Philly

Looks very nice so far. Are you working from a plan of your own or one you got somewhere? I would also like to make something similar for my nieces (3 - doctor, teacher and ?/reporter/writer).

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Originally posted by just started
                  Looks very nice so far. Are you working from a plan of your own or one you got somewhere? I would also like to make something similar for my nieces (3 - doctor, teacher and ?/reporter/writer).
                  JS,
                  Working from a concept, really, and some scribbling on scrap paper - I looked up several different types of blanket chests on the internet, noted the types of construction used on each, and picked parts from each that I wanted to use together. Also noted the average dimensions, and did some "human modeling" measurements (the chest lid will double as a seat when done) to ensure the right height. It'll end up being ~24in tall, 40in wide, and 20in deep (external dimensions).

Stock dimensions for sides -
                  Front panel assy:
                  Raised panels from 8x13 stock
                  Stiles from 4x20-1/4 stock
                  Railes from 4x33-1/2
                  Mullions from 4x13 stock

Side panel assy:
                  Raised panels from 11x13 stock
                  Stiles from 4x13
                  Rails from 4x17-7/8

Other stock dimensions are still rough; will add final dimensions of other pieces as I complete.
                  Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 06-15-2008, 06:36 PM.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

looking good.... you are making more progress on your chest than I've made on mine in the past... oh.... year or so....
                    Alex

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

Assembly complete

Finished assembly on this Thursday, July 3, except for mounting the lid hinge and support brackets. Presented in currently unfinished state to my daughter, who is selecting the finish of her choice. Next thread on this will be in "finished projects", hopefully this weekend. Thanks for looking!
                      Attached Files
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Popeye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Woodbine, Ga
                        • Grizzly 1023SL

An hierloom in the making. Looking to forward to seeing the finish. Pat
                        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Larryl
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Lorena, TX, USA.
                          • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

That is really professional looking and will be treasured for many years.
                          I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

Working...